Thread: Coherent Innova Enterprise II ENTCII-647 250mW Krypton Ion Laser Head Unit

Default Coherent Innova Enterprise II ENTCII-647 250mW Krypton Ion Laser Head Unit

Hello

I purchased the above head but haven't received it yet. It's guaranteed functioning. I contacted my pal Cesare from Coherent in Germany and he dug through everything but said this unit is off the books and must have been made completely proprietary. It's a krypton unit. My question is do you think it it's a mixed gas tube with a 250 mw red krypton line out or just a krypton gas fill only. It has a prism unit on the front side of it. If any of you have dealt with one of these your input would be greatly appreciated. I do have a functional supply as I have an argon enterprise 2. These lasers are built like a battle tank and there is nothing cheap on them. Thanks in advance.
    J

Last edited by dhg6; 02-08-2015 at 23:49.

Lightbulb

Hi dhg -

Congrats on getting that nice little 'cherry'.. Yes, Enterprises are really, really-nice little sleds..

Quote Originally Posted by dhg6 View Post
    .....do you think it it's a mixed gas tube with a 250 mw red krypton line out or just a krypton gas fill only. It has a prism unit on the front side of it.
    2 Questions: a) Do you have a 'better pic' of the "prism unit"? Looking at what you've posted, it does not appear to be any-part of the 'cavity', in other words, if it - as it looks - is totally 'extra-cavity', all 100% OUTside the head-assy - then it's not part of the resonator, and therefore, has nothing to do with 'line-selection' (INTRAcavity..) So, it won't 'dictate' what the head can produce, ie: like a Prism on the REAR-mirror assy will.. Speaking of that,

b) Can you remove the rear-Optic cover-plate / post a shot of the Rear HR-mirror mount-assy? Wanna see IF that head has a tuning-Prism.. Even IF it does, that still does not mean it's ONLY one-gas, or another.. But, IF you can remove the Rear-optic assy / remove the HR-mirror / look at it, that will also 'tell you a lot'.. ie: If the reflection off an overhead-light source is 'pure silver color', then that is likely a 'broadband HR', and might-suggest, therefore - possibly - a mixed-gas tube.. If the reflection is *only* a 'goldish color', then that suggests a tube set-up for Red-line Only (especially if-mated with a Rear-prism assy..), and it would not make any-sense for them to set-up a tube "as a -647", and just have Argon 'along for the ride', that would be really inefficient (vs a pure Kr-only tube / optics, etc..) for getting max-Red..

..But, ultimately, you should be able to get the 'Fill' info off the Tube, itself.. IF there is Argon in it, it should have that info on it.. But, I'd bet, with a -647 designation, what the Tube-label should tell you, and what 'story' the HR can tell you about it, I'd bet - failing any confirmation / tube-info from Cohr (the Ultimate definitive-answer, here..) it's a Kr-Only head / optics, and Not a 'mixed-gas'... It really would not make much sense for them to 'waste' all the Kr-efficiency potential, by making it a WL-tube, then 'throwing away' all the Ar-lines.. But, again.. if this is, indeed, a 'Frankentube' it could-be, so..

..Check the Tube-labels, check the Rear optic-assy / HR-coating, and report back to base..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have a ENT II data sheet at home that lists a white light version. They are rare as hen's teeth. Jon has described the test, if the rear optic is silver and only transmits a very deep purple with the plasma on, its probably a WL. Dont look down the bore from either end of a working laser, especially one like that that autoadjusts its mirrors for lasing. Shine the light on a piece of white card stock,

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'd be interesting in purchasing the adjustable fold mirror mirror mount with the two actuators on it at the output end of the laser.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I will let you know when it arrives. I can't wait. I have an enterprise 2 argon and she has been nothing but a work horse. Thanks for all your input and I will post ASAP. God bless and thank you.