Thread: EyeMagic Gavlos

Default EyeMagic Gavlos

All,

As some of you may know from another forum area, I got involved with the laser addiction a little over a decade ago. Mostly collected small-mid frame ion lasers, with an emphasis on Lexel's. I had to step away from the hobby for a few years for various reasons, but I'm now back in a position where I can continue to pursue my hobby.

One of my acquisitions back then was a pair of EyeMagic scanners and amps. Specifically, the scanners are EMS-3080F.

I know technology has advanced a lot in the time I've been away... Back then, Cambridge CT-6800HP's were the big kids on the block. The EyeMagic's were also highly thought of. A few years back, I saw an influx of galvos from overseas manufacturers, as well as newer models from the normal manufacturers.

Are my EyeMagic scanners still a contender? I see that the newest version is the EMS-4000, and they have improved bearings...

Just trying to get a feel for whether I should also be looking at a new set of galvos in addition to the rest of my list of needs...

Thanks,
    Brad

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I don't know about the 3080F but I'm sure someone here will probably give you an answer as to their viability. Eye Magic is still certainly a player in the scanner market and still highly regarded by many. The newest is actually I believe the EMS-8000 and there was also an EMS-7000 that both came out after the EMS-4000.

Up until recently, the primary names you heard about were DT (Dragon Tiger) on the lower end ($400-$550 or so) with the DT-30's, DT-40Pros and DT 40 wides. Eye Magic was your mid point player at around $1000-$1200 for the EMS-4000 and finally Cambridge with the 6215's. Yes, there are others like General Scanning, Raytrack, Scanpro, etc. Recently Pangolin has gotten into the scanner market and has two basic flavors... the Compact506 which are indeed "compact" - priced around the same as the cheaper Chinese scanners like the DT's. And their higher end Saturns which are around Eye Magic money from what I understand. They are really rather unique in design and supposed to be fantastic although we're all waiting for some real world reviews and not just marketing speak. They are working on a digital amp that allows you to tune directly from a PC - no messing around with the turning of pots.

A good alternative to the DT's are the Phenix Technology scanners and represent a very good price/value ratio. But they are still regarded as "cheap Chinese scannners" but an awful lot of us are using them now and, they're certainly in expensive multiple digit watt projectors.

So, if someone who knows about the 3080's chimes in and says they're antiquated, you've got an awful lot of choices to explore.

Brad,

It looks like you have yet again helped me get back up to speed. Thank you.

Just to help educate myself, I'll take a look at the products/manufacturers you mentioned. The big ones I remember are Cambridge, GSI, EyeMagic, and Catweasel, if memory serves correctly. Seems that like every other areas of the related technologies, the playing field has grown. I'm kind of curious about Pangolin's offerings. Just purely from a reputational standpoint, I'd rather bank on Pangolin than the DT galvos.

I believe my EMS's are good up to 30k or so, which I know is slow compared to the newer scanners... But, I guess they'll give me a place to start at least. As you know, there's a few other key items I'm working on gathering up, so I should probably concentrate on those areas before replacing my scanners, since slower scanners are better than no scanners for the moment.

Thanks again,
    Brad

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

You're welcome. If your current EMS are good up to 30k then yes, I'd say work on the other areas first. That will quite honestly, give a little more time for Pangolin to hopefully get to a retail boxed product.

Here's 30 pages on the 506's:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...cannermax-506s

I also have a Youtube video I shot at FLEM with Bill demonstrating the digital amp and scanners doing 90k. I haven't jumped into the fray with Pangolin's scanners yet but, when they're sold in a retail box with a digital amp, I'll likely end up ordering "a case of 24"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j99ZKovDWbU It's about an hour and fifteen minutes but worth a watch.

Lightbulb

Hey Brad (..this is wierd...

Quote Originally Posted by bradstockdale View Post
    ..Are my EyeMagic scanners still a contender?
    We (DSLI) have used all of the galvos you mentioned (and others..) and what I can 'testify' as to the EMS-line (at least the 3080s and 4000s..) is I have not found an 'overall-tougher' scanner at any price.. In doing shows all over the US and several other Countries (where line-voltage can be all over the map, and good, 'proper Ground' is often seen as 'optional' the EMSs have proven *the* most consistently 'nearly unbreakable' / fryable, out of all of them..

..It was even claimed that you could "grab the mirror while it was scanning", and (assuming you new the trick to not-breaking the mirror while trying that... and it would not 'blow a fuse' / fry anything in the amp / break the scanner, that was one 'myth' that proved-out true.. Similarly, with as big-a-slant to the 'graphics-heavy side', that most of our Show-werk has always been (lots of Corp-theater / Civic-show (Sponsors / some-City's custom graphics, etc, etc..) we've had to put our galvo-sets thru more 'brutality' than most co's nowadays (ie: shows with some ungodly-logo with 'just-no-way-to-simplify-further' 3600 pt logos, etc needing to be shot at 150-200% scaling, due to the throw / screen-size, etc) and Man, the EMS just 'took a lickin and kept on tickin'.. Show after show after show...

..And - some - with like $30K or more 'at stake'.. O_O ..and Not *once* did we ever have a pair of EMS (..Yes, once we 'got past' that unfortunate-spell with their magnet-coatings, etc..) go belly-up on us / blow something on itself, and take out / blow a show.. Not one.. ..Conversely, HAVE-had the 'Catweazles' and GS's and even CT's 'take a dump on us', right-before a show, etc.. And have-had to 'swap-out' amps, etc..

..Granted, such-occurences were *very rare*, but.. The EMS, in particular the 4000s, just never failed, no matter what we 'threw at them', or how badly we 'abused' (400% scale, etc.. So.. IF you're planning on ever doing any 'for-pay' gigs again, I'd heartily-recommend the 4Ks.. As I say, you can 'Bank' on them..

Have not had enough 'road-time' on our EMS 8000s (Did-have one amp-failure with a 'beta +2-revs' set of the 7000s, but.. That may-have just been an 'anomaly'. Have-heard, however, of others with 'some issues' on the scanner-side.. We found them, however, to perform *very nicely* and produce nice, 'more buttery' output, than the 4Ks..) to make a 'vetted' recommendation, but.. I have high-hopes..

..Likewise, I hear wonders about the new Pango 506s and Saturn-line, from the 'early-adopters', but.. As, umm.. other-Brad says until they are avail. 'over the counter', with the OEM-amps, stock, etc, well.. To me, that's not really a 'fair fight' / data-set, so.. Likewise, we're 'holding out'.. Demos, however, especially the 506s, have been mighty-dang impressive..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Wow... Talk about some real world use!

That makes me feel better about my galvos and amps... I guess I made a good decision to obtain these in the past.

I, too, heard the claims of stopping the mirrors while in motion and causing no damage. Never had the nerve to try. And honestly, didn't put much time on them anyway.

I think I'll stick with these for the time being, and concentrate on the other areas of concern. If I ever do need to get another set of galvos, perhaps I'll look at staying in the EyeMagic line of products. With testimonials like that, its hard to think of a reason to.

Thanks!

I can testify too that those Eyemagic scanners are solid performers. I own actually *all* the current lines (4000, 5100, 7000 and 8000) and I made some hard use of them, particularly the 8000 for graphic purposes - projecting complex logos and animations the whole nite, for several days, outside (0°C) and inside (up to 30°C), at a speed of >55k at unseemly angles (>30-40°), with no issues at all and with a near-perfect projection quality.
    You *just* need to cool the amps as much as you can because they are heating a lot at those speeds !

I'm waiting like many others a ready-set of Scannermax Saturns with proper amps "just to test them" but in the meantime, plenty happy with Eyemagic

Sounds like more proof that the EyeMagic scanners can take some abuse and keep holding their own. Good stuff. I don't know much about the newer products, but I had reached out to EyeMagic looking for documentation for my 3080's, and they gave me a quick rundown of the 4000's and 5110's. Will look into them more. I certainly like all of the props given to their products.