Thread: Galvo's

Default Galvo's

Hello all, I currently have a set of eye magic 30k scanners in a 15 watt rgb projector I'm not happy at all with the performance on certain graphic shows. Now granted they work perfect for beams and simple graphics but higher end shows seem to flicker quite a bit, to the point it does not complete the image I'm looking to find a replacement for these and I asking what you all would recommend that would be for larger beam dia. Thanks in advance

Lightbulb

Hello Shawn -

To best-help you, first, we need some more 'clarity'...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    ..I currently have a set of eye magic 30k scanners in a 15 watt rgb projector I'm not happy at all with the performance on certain graphic shows...I asking what you all would recommend that would be for larger beam dia.
    a) What 'Eye Magic 30ks' do you have.. 3080s? 4000s? And, why are you 'spec'ing' them at "30k", Is that what they were 'sold-as', Or, do you know this due to 'mirror-size' / OEM-spec, etc.. ?

b) What software / settings are you using? Are the 'default-max scan-speeds' set-properly for your Galvos?

c) What is this 'certain graphics' content, like? 4000-point 3DSM-stuff? Not trying to be a 'wise@$$', but.. ie: You could have the hottest-pair of CT6215H's / Amps on the Planet, but if you're tossing too much at your galvos - for the mirror-size - you're gonna 'choke that horse', regardless..

d) Speaking of mirror-size.. When you say 'larger beam dia.' what are you talking, 5mm? (I'm guessing-so..) That will 'shape the recommendations'..

..Waiting for answers, to answer intelligently..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Yes Sir they are 4000's that I do know, and in the beyond software I have them set at 30K however the were set but the builder and I trust in his abilities. and the graphics content are detailed graphic shows, example (rhythm is a dancer this version I bought but I do believe its on the server now that I look) also have bought a few shows from mike dunn and they flicker very badly as well. and beam size I would assume its 5mm, I was told I would not (catch) full beam if I use smaller mirrors. and I want max power if at all possible, Thanks

Lightbulb

Hi Shawn -

...they are 4000's that I do know, and in the beyond software I have them set at 30K ...beam size I would assume its 5mm..
    Important to find out 'what size your Mirrors actually-are'.. If they're '5-6mm Aperture' mirrors, Try setting scan-speed to 45K, and 'report back' on results.. I'd also be interested to find out what 'Amp-rating' your Galvo-amps PS's are capable of.. Any idea?

..If, however, they are *8-9mm Aperture* mirrors (which are some pretty honkin-lookin mirrors, ie: http://onestoplasershop.com/images/E...20Infinity.jpg ) then, you're going to have to either 'live' with doing slower / less-complex shows, or.. 'Upgrade' to ie: CT6215H's.. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...Ux8DO/$_57.JPG ...

..Anyhoo, a bit more-detail, if-possible, then I can 'narrow a recommend'..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 02-26-2015 at 15:51. Reason: borked link

Here Are a few pics of what i have, and their are so many power supplies in this im wondering do eye magics have 2? reason i ask one is marked 24v - and one 24v + and i assume those are for the scanners but i cannot trace the wiresClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0379.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	751.9 KB 
ID:	46446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	46447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	46448

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0379.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	751.9 KB 
ID:	46449 another pic these are the mirrors

power supplies that i believe go to scannersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	46450

Have a look at the new Pangolin Compact 506 scanners with the large mirrors. They're pretty nice, and they can do an honest 30K at very wide angles, even with fat mirrors. Be sure to measure your beam diameter though so you know what size mirrors you need.

Scanning beyond 30K speeds with fat mirrors is tricky, but if you have the cash and want to go down that route, consider contacting Pangolin about the Saturn 5 scanners and inquire about large mirror options on those. They are still working on these scanners and I don't know if they will be able to handle mirrors large enough for your projector, but it's worth a shot if you need to bump the speed up to 60K. A word of warning though - they are considerably more expensive than the 506's!

Adam

Lightbulb

hi Shawn -

...these are the mirrors...power supplies that i believe go to scanners
    Correct, those are your +/- 24V (or, might-be 28V, dunno what that builder standardizes-on, but more-likely 24V..) for the scan-amps.. All scanner-amps need a +/- DC voltage, to 'swing' the scanner-mirrors, both ways...

re: Those mirrors.. I'd guess, based on seeing your pic, (here's a Ref for you.. http://onestoplasershop.com/images/EMS4000%2045K.jpg they are the 6mm Ap mirs, and, as-such, aren't going to achieve what you want to-do, I don't think.. You'll either have to stick to 'simpler content' - or - Perhaps contact your Sys-builder about an 'upgrade' to the Eye Magic 8000s.. I'd be willing to bet you should be 'ok' on Beam-size, hearing your 'Ref' for what projector (and, likely, Lasers..) this is.. Still, it would be best to get an exact beam-dia. figure from the OEM, there..

re: Pango-galvos, yes, they are very-high quality / great little galvos, but.. I don't think 506's are going to be 'faster' than what you have with the larger mirrors on them, and the 'Saturns' - again, I don't believe - are available 'off the shelf', with their Own-amps, ready to go, just yet.. I'll be happy to stand corrected, but.. That's what I understand, for the moment, so.. I'd recommend consideration of the EMS-8000s.. Certainly, there should be some 'trade-in allowance', for your 4000s, but.. It's not my place to 'speculate what / how much', etc..

fwiw..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-01-2015 at 00:25.