Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting laser effect, how was this done?

Quote Originally Posted by rMuD View Post
    that is quite the over engineering description..
    ..You're surprized?? I thought you knew me by now.. I was just mind-barfing a way I imagined it could be done, before I saw the patent-drawing, etc.. I still-submit what I detailed (which, yes, would-be redicilous to build..) could make for some cool-fx.. You can also do some cool-stuff with cone-scans and 'retro-bounce' scenarios, ie:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cone_comp.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	46463 ..as I think 'Buffo' was postulating..

Anyhoo, I'll shut up now..
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

We were hired to "beam in" William Shatner for a Star Trek convention in the early '80's. The client did NOT want a laser cone. They wanted a laser CYLINDER. Here is the "transporter" device I came up with. It was fiber fed by Argon and Krypton SP171's with color mod and blanking which made it possible to open and close the cylinder, chase the color modulated and blanked sections in either direction. Slower scanning produced a "cage" of beams. It was crude but effective and the client loved it. We got a lot of mileage out of that unit, sometimes mounting overhead in the light truss or under the stage projecting upward with a plexiglass window for the revealed person to stand on. Each mirror was adjusted individually and stayed aligned pretty well. I suppose if we could have automated the mirrors' movement we could have opened up to a cone or closed down to an hour glass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trnsptr1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	46464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans04.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	46465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans01.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	46466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans02.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	46467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trans03.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	46468

So I take my projector and scan a circle in the abstract generator. it hits the middle of the "Mirror Cone" it comes straight out. I shrink it down a touch and it goes to a point or crosses over, widen it up a bit and it goes wide. Worse case the mirror is convex to amplify the angles. I've seen it on the wall in use, I've never been close to it enough to see the actual mirrors. I also thought it was some magical spinning wheel of doom it's just a 3' disc. with a typical galvo projector scanning.
    Rob Mudryk
    Retired old and Grumpy Laserist

What is even more funny is that their 10 claims for improvement to patent are almost word for word identical to Fugi Film's US Patent. from 1989 http://www.google.ca/patents/US4978197. Some of the claims they are trying to enforce are you have a laser diode with a collimator that outputs a rectangular beam less than 30mrad. what is not referenced word for word, is referenced from several other patents that reference the Fugi Patent from the 90's

They deserve the "Simpson's Did It" Rubber Stamp

Arctos does some great work, I was there when the first 31W came off the plane... to make 50+ diodes into one beam that was a feat of strength and patience! They still make a great product, great innovations. There are more Innovators than them that have been doing this for a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    PS (..this should interest 'andy-con'..) http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...002498A1&KC=A1 ..although, I don't know *how* he can 'claim' this: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...009294U1&KC=U1 ..Mmmyeah, I don't think-so.. Anyhoo.. .02

j
    Rob Mudryk
    Retired old and Grumpy Laserist

Here's a link from an industry rag that goes in to to a little detail:
    http://livedesignonline.com/strictly...m_medium=email