Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito laser.

Default Mosquito laser.

Im wondering when they will have one for my back yard.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/B...?tab=video&c=y
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Lightbulb

..Bah.. all ya need is a pickup-truck and 40A of 220, 1Ø..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS40_Outdoors_2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	46489 ..Yeah, ok, and a fairly-large backstop, yes..

..and, no 'sophisticated targeting-tech' needed, just turn the big candle on, and they come and - *FOOF* - die in droves... (..and I have 5 years of Salvadorian data to back up this statement, so.. Jus' sayin...

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I believe that Bill Gates funded this project or another one just like it for his humanitarian project for Africa…

Intellectual Ventures in a known patent troll. This, and many other proof of concept prototypes will not leave the lab for the foreseeable future $$ Amerika $$

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by lightlinked View Post
    Intellectual Ventures in a known patent troll. This, and many other proof of concept prototypes will not leave the lab for the foreseeable future $$ Amerika $$

Calculate the number of galvo pairs you need to cover 1/2 of a sphere. This project ends there. The galvos have to have large enough mirrors to aim the beam and steer the vision system lens. They envision arrays of this machine covering a village. All the malaria needs is one skeeter to evade. The good guys need to shoot down every skeeter...

Gates got taken for a ride.

I had a long chat with these guys where they were trying to convince me to make them 20$ galvos that could move 2" mirrors. Chat was with a student who was working with them.

Lets not ignore the problem of flinging 200 mW of collimated 405 around humans.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I think this idea is ...stupid. With all due respect.

Interestingly, this is similar to what I have been working on for other purposes. I don't mean that I have it all figured out. Not by any means, but rather I have come to understand a little better just how impractical this would be. Steve is absolutely right. The only way to even have a chance of selectively damaging the insect and not damaging foreground and background objects is to work with focused,not collimated, beams (Steve, that is why I need those huge mirror scanners). This means big beams at some point in the system. Auto tracking and computer analysis is not a big deal, but the 500 Hz beat frequency range means the male vs female challenge requires kHz frame rate, HD resolution imaging to cover less than 1% of a 10 meter radius 1/4 sphere. This guy is full of it. And this, god knows how many thousands of dollars each, "solution" is going to Africa? Of course...where else. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet for that matter are very rich, but they do seem to do some dumb things occasionally (don't we all?).

Now, where they are is not at all impractical if you consider other (targets) and higher energies and fast lasers. It would be interesting if we learned that this Florida based company is linked to some mid east entity interested in "defense". That would be just like he said...Africa. Just thinking.
    Last edited by planters; 03-06-2015 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Lets not ignore the problem of flinging 200 mW of collimated 405 around humans.

Steve
    That was exactly my 1st thought Steve.

Even if you have some kind of large object movement detection facility that blocks a shot if a large object such as human is detected moving in the beam area, what happens if the large object (human), is stationary and a mosquito flies in front of them. Presumably the human wouldn't be recognised from any other background object and the mosquito would be detected resulting in the machine taking the shot. All the overspill radiation would presumably hit the person behind.

Only ways around it I could foresee would be to have each person tagged with a device that informs the computer of where they are. However, then you have additional expense plus it's reliant on the person putting on their tag. The other obvious way around it would be to have the laser mounted in an excluded fenced off area around the camp or above well people's heads to get the mosquito before they fly in rather than once they're there.

(Posted before I read Eric's post. Similar thoughts!)
    Last edited by White-Light; 03-07-2015 at 14:48. Reason: Aded some more thoughts

... I've seen this system some years ago in an older presentation, where it was live 'fighting' moskitos in a big glass-tank on a stage, maybe 5 meters away from the laserscanner.

They told then, that with super short pulses only the thin wings of the moskito will be affected, not human skin or the interieur surfaces -- but what's with the human eye? ... laser goggles?

Viktor

I saw that presentation as well. I think it was one of those TED things. It's the crazy expense vs productivity that ruins it. Its kinda like flying cars and personal rocket ships. They seem neat when you have a limited understanding of the technology.

Can you imagine some primitive, dirt poor African village suffering with AIDS or Ebola fearing a reprisal from the roving Muslim war lords surrounded by half a dozen of these $15,000 bug zappers? Sound like a reasonable priority to you?

I think that if strategically placed around the water sources where the mosquito's breed and are born, these could be very efficient in REDUCING Malaria in Africa. I believe that the Gates foundation would be the one picking up the bill for these units, and it seems better than any other options like poisoning the bodies of water where they breed. Do you guys have any better ideas you are willing to implement? Not trying to be rude, but at least they are trying to do something for people a world away that they will never meet.