Thread: need help with a 5 sided or 8 sided scanning mirror

Default need help with a 5 sided or 8 sided scanning mirror

i am looking to replace a octagon style first reflection mirror assembly that just is mounted to a dc motor, i lost mine and don't remember what it was totally called, like the assembly is a laser fax or a bar code scanner but with just a dc motor, no 3 phase or other parts, the general use of this is at a camp fire and the scanning beam is shown though the smoke of the camp fire, it was simple and easy to control but i don't remember what the head was called, in my care it has 5 sides made from a single block of aluminum stuck to a generic dc motor that tape decks used to use, it needs to be as simple as possible, i just don't remember what it was called
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

polygon rotating mirror or polygon laser scanner?
    Trying to create a good diode mount....

the ones i am finding are from laser printers and need a control signal , the one i had was just on a dc motor, i will keep looking, thanks
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

some very old barcode scanners used these I have one thats 10 sided with a dc motor. Before you ask - not for sale (tbh reflectors are not in great shape anyway)

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

about how old of a bar code scanner? so i have an idea of what to look for?
    Last edited by Draco; 03-05-2015 at 21:59. Reason: spelling

Just pry one out of a laserprinterassembly and glue it to a dc computer fan.
    I bet it will just do for campfire experiments.

On the other hand, a line generating optic can be bought from o-like, aixyz, or ebay for a few dollars.

I do indeed have a scan engine from a plain paper fax machine, thank you for the info,