Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: controlling scanners standalone?

I just got a Pi2 and I am very impressed with the speed.

It is a whole working computer with a version of Linux called Raspbian.

So you get a UNIX like command prompt. Raspbian uses a thing called The Linux Frame Buffer.

That means that the display adapter on the board is available for use from the command prompt.

LaserBoy is compiled with libSDL, which knows how to use The Frame Buffer for display.

So, you can plug a keyboard and monitor into the Pi2 and run LB from the command prompt and it will take full advantage of the display capabilities.

But, Raspbian also has Xfree86, so you can 'startx' and go into a GUI windowing system.

LB also runs in Xfree86, so you can run it in a window.

Audacity also runs in X, plus a bizzillion other nice apps.

Raspbian includes a driver for the C-Media 106L and 6206. So these USB sound DACs work.

So for very little money, you can build a Linux workstation that runs LB, other laser apps and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Plus you can forget about using the keyboard and monitor and just plug it into your network and get to it's command prompt using an ssh client.

You cannot run LB from an ssh session. You need to be on the native terminal.

But you can use 'aplay' to play waves through the sound card DAC.

You can also plug an external USB hard drive into the Pi2 for a huge amount of storage for wave or ILDA or whatever.

There is also a Linux client-server thing called 'samba' which makes the Pi2 appear on a Windows Workgroup, so you can share a folder on your network and drag and drop files in and out of the Pi2 from any Windows machine. The Pi2 can also find folders shared from your Windows machine.

My plan is to take advantage of this nice fixed platform and write some code that makes the most of it.

I think it would be fairly trivial to make the whole thing into a live, streaming network DAC.

There are already laser DACs that use 'Jack' audio API for this very purpose.

I'm also working on some other nifty ideas that go with the Pi2.

If anyone else wants to get involved with some Pi2 development, let me know!

I'm very interested in the idea that MS is going to make a version of Windows 10 that runs on the Pi2.

James.
    Last edited by james; 03-06-2015 at 09:43.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I'd like to know how to connect a standalone scanner to the DAC.
    You can also get tiny LCD screens with touch control and tiny USB keyboards to hook up to the Pi2.

You could use X with touch to select and play waves.

I guess what you end up with is a whole computer that is small enough to fit inside the projector.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Just wire the signal wires for the amps to the correct pins of a DB25 and plug it into your DAC. Google for ILDA pin out to find which pins it uses.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks norty.
    Hm, I guess the poor but cheap iShow DAC has a use after all? It's around $50. Add another $50 to get the cheap AL15K scanners and you can control via PC.

You can do a lot more with a modified sound card DAC for about $60.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Check this out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	running_LB_01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	46512

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quisp_scope.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	46513

This is LaserBoy running on the Pi2.

The scope shot is taken from an ordinary USB SND8 sound device with no modifications.

The scope has a very high input impedance, so the decoupling caps don't have quite as dramatic of an effect on distorting the image.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Riya Lite for $110 from me + RIYA SDK and you can do whatever you want.

@james I think your findings on using Pi2 to control laser projectors deserves its own thread. Because of the cost I'm sure many folks would like to include the controller inside their projector case and save space.
    Moncha.NET already does that, but I personally find it pretty poor DAC (proprietary file format, not enough scanning controls, poor LCD menu...) and Pangolin has one embeeded DAC but I think it was discontinued but even if it wasn't it was pretty expensive and also used proprietary file formats and I don't think even had a screen, just memory card (not SD) reader and cable to control from PC (of course only via Pangolin programs).
    So go for it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi...item4d2e3a96fd

As for modified sound card DAC, never learned anything about it, only been told it's not easy to make.

@JohnYayas: I see the RIYA Lite has become even less expensive. I already own one but when I'll start my new laser build I'll probably get one and connect the DAC to the scanners directly as norty explained ( https://www.laserworld.com/en/laser-...or-pinout.html ).
    Last edited by blue; 03-09-2015 at 02:24.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Just email Ihor and get the RIYA show software file for your existing RIYA. Worse case you need a EEROM upgrade, which is done by connecting RIYA to a PC and running a program.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for the encouragement blue.

I am working on some stuff now, both hardware and software related to making the Pi2 a lot more attractive.

I will post it as soon as I have a good dog and pony show.

In the mean time, people who are interested should go ahead and get a Pi2.

They are tons of fun.

It's no accident that LaserBoy runs well on the Pi2. It started out as an application built on top of my ezfb project.

That is a Linux frame buffer API I wrote specifically for hand-held Linux devices that have non VGA displays.

But it works on any Linux machine with a kernel built for frame buffer.

I used to work for a start-up company here in Akron Ohio who had a vision of dominating that space.

That was 15 years ago!

Oops! I just ordered one of those little screens! Thanks for the link!

A modified sound card DAC aka LaserBoy DAC is very easy to make!

I couldn't have made it any easier.

The USB SND8 is very easy to modify and the kit I sell for the correction amp is as easy to build as any large component, hole-through, single sided circuit board.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0

Plus, I give very good tech support.

James.
    Last edited by james; 03-09-2015 at 10:40.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials