Thread: So very very not laser or anything photon related .. Plumbing problem ..

Default So very very not laser or anything photon related .. Plumbing problem ..

HELP!! Pleez.. I tried to glue a "T" fitting for a hose for my wife to water her chickens and geese onto what I thought was cpvc pipe with the standard cpvc orange glue but it didn't work .. I think it may be 'Pex" pipe or something un-gluable ?? the glue didn't hold and burst out in a streaming explosion of water.. It has black plastic crimp rings on top of some sort of weird couplings that I've never seen .. I'm living in the past when U could glue anything onto everything PVC w/ PVC cement .. but now there's pipe that you cannot glue .. what am I dealing with..?? somebody please give me a clue ... THANKS IN ADVANCE !!! PLUMBING DISASTER !!!!!
    Signed,
    Old Fart --
    Last edited by steve-o; 03-14-2015 at 22:23. Reason: couldnt spell disaster

Cross linked polyethylene is great with methanol (dye lasers). But unlike PVC or CPVC which a vinyls that become soluble in acetone and MEK (basis of their glues) PEX either ignores these solvents or gets a little soft, but does not become soluble and so two components are unable to form a true intermingling (weld). These tubes can be joined with push fittings such as:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#7880t136/=wbnb4i

or

http://www.ehow.com/how_6071923_connect-pex-pipe.html

You then use the threaded end to connect in the usual manner to the CPVC or PVC bushing.

with something like that i have been able to use a type of coupler called "shark bite" couplers
    http://www.sharkbite.com/?utm_source...ing%20fittings
    Since i live in a mobile lair with the flexible water lines i have had very good luck with these and they even come with a tool that easily uncouples the fittings, and the best thing is the big box hardware stores have them and is so much easier then gluing the lines togetherm i have had some in service for about 8 years or so with no leaks (unlike my laser budget)
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Thanks guys.. I had to call the plumber and he attached new fittings with a tool the size of bolt-cutters. There's a lot of fancy new plumbing gadgetry out there now .. preventing us DIY-ers from doing our thang. Newer cars are also a pain in the arse ..
    I appreciate the info! All is well .. Thanks & Cheers ..

The hardest part i find when working on newer cars is not the computer systems, it's the lack of space, I love it when a service step says to remove engine, lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Yeah, it used to be when you popped the hood, or bonnet, there would be an engine sitting there. Now there is a sea of wires, hoses, tubes and things that need to be looked up in the manual to find out what they are. My 2002 Dodge Stratus, the intake manifold has to be removed to change 3 spark plugs. It didn't used to be that difficult to change spark plugs.

LOL yeah on my buick i need to remove the top engine mounts and wench the engine forward to get to the back spark plugs , no space to do anything. my first truck you could set up a bar with chairs and have a good lunch in the engine bay lol

I just started my first job using a crimp copper system. Nice system quick, however every joint relies on an o ring.
    The good thing about copper is that it is a natural biocide . The bonus about brazing copper is silflos (wielding rod) contains 5 % silver.
    Over time you will end up with copper and silver ions in the water. In a sort of round about way the pipe work behaves like a copper silver ion generator ( a water filter system used on the space station ).
    This is not a new approach . throwing coins in a wishing well was thought to bring good luck. in fact the good luck was the reaction between the copper and silver coins.