Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SELEM 2015 When and what's new?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Great SELEM info, Brad! Thanks for taking care of that. For the record, I'm currently out of town doing some groundwater sampling for a client, so my Internet access is spotty.

Hank: The ILDA LSO class is no joke. You'll want to study beforehand and take good notes during the course. It's hard enough that even though the test is open-book (well, open-note anyway) and you can use your laptop to google things, there is still about a 20% failure rate. Then again, being a laser safety officer is serious business, so the final exam reflects that seriousness.

That being said, I think you would do well in the course. Len has posted a study guide of sorts (basic list of definitions to memorize in advance, plus some web resources to study before the class). I would definitely look over that material first. If it makes sense to you and you can follow what is being presented in Len's sources, then you'll probably be just fine in the LSO class.

But if you look over some of that stuff and it makes no sense, then I would wait to take the LSO course until you've had time to bone up on the basics. At a minimum you should understand how divergence and irradiance are related; how to calculate beam diameter given the initial beam diameter, the divergence, and a distance; what MPE stands for, how it is measured, and what the limit is; have a general understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum and how wavelength affects the properties of various kinds of electromagnetic radiation; have a good understanding of the various structures of the human eye, including what each part does; and finally be capable of solving simple algebraic equations. (Re-arrange to solve for a single variable.)

Adam
    i think it's closer to a 40% failure rate.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That soon? Time really flies. I was hoping to have a lot more accomplished by now. I need an intern.
    Yes.... 'cause you have a Spaghetti demo to do for us, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    I know I'll be there. Can't wait to see all you wonderful people again!

Barring loss of life or limb...

Sorry about your current situation, Hak. Hope things change for the better in the coming months!
    This is LaserSam. I was thinking of going this year, need to contact someone or have someone contact me.

Thanks.

--- sam