Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2015 When and what's new?

Default SELEM 2015 When and what's new?

When and what's new?

I'm getting messages from my Holiday Lighting Forum about Lone Star Holidays Academy in August...once again...have to make a choice...
    But...actually...There IS no choice...
    One time I attended the Academy...I gave a standing-room-only beginner's class in Laser Safety in your Holiday Display. Just safety procedures and zones and keeping away from kids and the like.
    Then did a little laser light show in the auditorium.
    Nothing special...just a few beams and graphics to music...
    But...apparently got a few complaints from the vendors in the room for loud music (which I had no control over volume)...
    And was not invited back the next year as an instructor...
    But Still Love attending and learning new and exciting ways to light up the night to Holiday music.
    And then I went to SELEM 2014...
    And Immediately told my wife I wished to return!!!
    The Lights...The Sounds...The Action!!!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Something I discovered at CarribLEM that I need to become more aware of is that... I'm starting to finish buffo's sentences/replies to questions when we happen to be together with others. (Not unlike an old married couple!) Which is a bit scary but also perhaps, I realized, a little rude on my part.

But as I know he's tied up for a few days, don't know when he'll be able to answer so I'll at least give you the anticipated basics. I say "anticipated" since I don't know of any quirks to the plan.

Same as last year, it will officially kick off at 10:00am on Thursday August 13 and run through Sunday the 16th around 5 or so. Load in for those that want to help will be on Wednesday the 12th sometime, most likely after noon. For the most part, everything venue wise is expected to be the same although there may be some tweaks made to try some improvements in both areas.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I'm starting to finish buffo's sentences/replies to questions when we happen to be together with others. (Not unlike an old married couple!)
    You noticed it too, eh? Like brothers separated at birth almost!

but also perhaps, I realized, a little rude on my part.
    Are you kidding me? It's not rude at all. It just shows we're on the same page. Besides, I'm constantly interrupting people. I probably deserve a good dose of my own medicine!

Seriously though, go right ahead. Don't feel bad about answering for me - especially when I'm not around. You've been to SELEM enough times that you know the score!

SELEM will officially kick off at 10:00am on Thursday August 13 and run through Sunday the 16th around 5 or so. Load in for those that want to help will be on Wednesday the 12th sometime, most likely around 12 noon. For the most part, everything venue wise is expected to be the same although there may be some tweaks made to try some improvements in both areas.
    Agree 100%!

Adam

Will it be $75 in advance and $100 for late joiners and pay at the door peeps?- an awesome bargain IMHO.

I hope those invited last year that lived ridiculously close but felt the cost was too much for them take the 'plunge'- try harder this year.

WTH??

I suggested to one that he bring a guest or two and split that cost but.. they were a no-show-- 'uber' cheap travel and no lodging costs was apparently is not enough.. duh!

I have been working on a TEXLEM II for some time now but I need more help-
    & I'm not limiting this to a venue close to me- I'm OK with DFW- Austin- San A. or anyplace we can 'fit' .

Len

I am not certain I will have the funds to make SELEM this year-- dispite friends trying to make the cost much lower with thier help. Can't say thanks enough to them and all the SELEM regulars-especially Adam..
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Laser Warning

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Will it be $75 in advance and $100 for late joiners and pay at the door peeps?- an awesome bargain IMHO.
    Not sure Len. Last year I had hoped that the advance ticket discount would encourage more people to register early (thus putting us into the black sooner), but as always it was right down to the wire on funding. (We didn't cross over into the black until something like 9 days prior to the event!)

As for this year, I'll need to see what the venue is going to charge us first before I set any prices, but chances are good that we will end up pretty close to last year.

I have been working on a TEXLEM II for some time now but I need more help
    Would love to lend a hand pal, but I am just about out of vacation. Caribb-LEM + FLEM has wiped me out! Need to save some for SELEM and some for right after when my son (and grand daughter!) will be visiting from Hawaii.

You might want to get in touch with Johnathon (Platinum) and see what he has cooking. I thought he was working on a LEM for the north east. Maybe you two could join forces?

I tried to get in touch with Greg (Displaser) a while back, but it turns out he is absolutely swamped right now and doesn't have time for lasers at all. Maybe next year.

I am not certain I will have the funds to make SELEM this year
    Awww man... Bummer! But yeah, I know that other things have to take priority sometimes. Let me know how it goes, and if you can't make it we will certainly run a few shows in your honor!

Adam

I am interested in attending this year's SELEM. How do I register to attend as a guest and obtain other details?

I'm not sure when registration starts but there will be a thread with all the details so keep an eye on it or just subscribe to this thread and you'll probably be notified that way.

You mentioned attending as a guest. I am not sure what you mean by that but typically everyone going pays but I think those people can bring "guests" for free. I think guests are typically people like wives or girlfriends who really don't care what is going on and spend most of the time in the hotel. haha.

Got it. Sorry for the confusion but probably should have said attendee instead of guest. This would be my first SELEM and also my first laser group meeting so I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you for the response!

You're in for one of the most fantabulistic weekends of your life.

Until things become "official" which will be soon, read this:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...14-Sign-up-now!

all the way through. Get a beverage. You'll need one. Prop your feet up. Basically everything in here will likely be pretty much the same. Same hotel info, bed and breakfast info, venue info etc.

This is the granddaddy, the mutha, the LEM of LEM's. Bigger than the ILDA conference, bigger than the smaller things like FLEM, CarribLEM, SoCal and NW LEM's. You "might' not laugh as much as you perhaps might at a UKLEM and I hope to find that out someday as the guys over the pond are hysterical in print sometimes but, there are side splitting laughs just the same. For eye-gasmic, geekery, it's without equal. As once was said, it's like a year of PL rolled into 4 days.

I just re-read that entire thread. Man do we have a good time. The one thing that struck me though was just how utterly exhausted we all were by the time it was over. I remember feeling rather sick from exhaustion and not being able to focus at Buffalo Wild Wings after the Newton show Sunday night. I've got to figure out how to not be THAT tired this year... it probably wasn't safe.