Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anything to scavenge from old TVs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01876.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	46732
    This one is the typical failures I see, and shows up as a blob or specks across the screen, in every case i have seen they are blue or green and in this case thats the blue, as i understand the higher energy in the green/blue spectrum causes the damage.
    I also forgot that just after the lamp there are some diffusers and one or two with bars going across and looks nice when rotated slowly.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Over the weekend i found another sony LCoS, it was funny, the original owner and his kids where trying to flag down people to take it, it was spring clean out weekend in my town, I had my atv trailer hooked up to the car and i pulled over and asked if it was blue snow flakes and he was surprised i guessed that and helped me load it on to the trailer, this time i am going to save the mirror and keep track of the parts better when i take the light engine apart.

I have never come across one that had the reflective coating on the back of the mirror, i think the Fresnel lens will make for a very nice death ray, it's the largest i have come across todate.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Zorn, where you live are there any electronic recyclers? that may be better luck then a repair shop.

... gave my # to several repair shops who often set RPTVs on the loading dock for the taking.
    Still waiting on a call for the good PJs with the cubes. One was highend solid oak (outer parts)

one very cheapie had a FS mirror made from Mylar- super light weight and hard to miss...

it now hangs over my waterbed=in corner is a disclaimer... 'OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR'
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Be Very Careful, over the many years of its life it has received millions of infared remote photons however it only takes one photon to change the channel so the remaining photons remain unused and they circulate the circuits for ever after. Wear protective eye wear when dismantling, or else you could catch a stray remote photon with eye damage assured.
    This space for rent.

Not sure if someone said it already but the crt's have a lot of coil wire in them
    Be carefull though those CRT's store a deadly charge for ages if not properly discharged.

the CRT it's self forms a capacitor, CRT's have a metal coating on both the inside and out that forms the main filter capacitor for the high voltage supply, Aquadag. What I do is clip a lead to a slender screw driver, one end clip to the screw driver and the other to a ground, slip the tip under the high voltage cap for the 2nd anode and short it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01918.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	47033

From a Sony LCoS
    left is blue, center green and the right side is red, 4 front surface mirrors, reflect blue, reflect green and pass red, then there are 3 filters for each.

There are 3 polarized filters too, far left
    Last edited by Draco; 05-07-2015 at 18:06. Reason: mistake

I forgot to mention that on the right side they seem to use dichros as mirrors, they reflect red and pass blue and green, there are two of them, on the blue side is a AR coated window that blocks UV and 405nm, the main window on the diffuser side also blocks UV but it reflects it very well with 405nm.

they act as a diffuser, that's the side where the lamp is, I kept them but i don't know if they have any good use for lasers, i passed a 532nm though it and it just makes the spot a bit larger, i did not notice any neat effects