Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anything to scavenge from old TVs?

Default anything to scavenge from old TVs?

EDIT: The way some of the members here have desperately tried to identify my location and nationality for whatever reason they believed was needed for by asking an admin to check my profile logs and researching me by the content of my posts has been very creepy and unnecessary. So bye.
    Last edited by dream; 04-28-2016 at 16:27.

The flyback transformer is worth keeping.

Lightbulb

..The older-older Projection-style ones had a HUGE first-surface mirror in them, that was very-HQ mirror, and nice, thick-glass.. I got 20x 4" bounce mirrors out of one piece, that someone had left by the trash, last spring.. I'm sure there are other dichros / lens-goodies in one, as-well..

..3 cheers for dumpster-diving!

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    ..don't they only reflect 90-93%..
    Uh, no.. Good first-surface AL-mirror (which those usually are..) should be 95-98% or better across the (practical) visible.. 400-700nm.. ie: http://www.edmundoptics.com/images/catalog/1007993.gif 405nm may be a bit 'lite', but.. Not too many people are 'banking shows' on having a ton of 405 in the mix, anyway..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

The screen surface is a giant Fresnel lense. Think of it as a giant ant burner.

Fred.

Front surface mirrors in the projector tvs.
    Ive got a few that I scavenged from "roadkill" (dumped on the side of the road) and made 8 real nice framed bounce mirrors with em.
    another source for those mirrrors would be an e-waste recycler location, they have piles of em.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

I look for LCoS Liquid Crystal over Silicon type rear projection sets, there light engines have a lot of optical parts, dicros, ar coated clear and what i think is called a combining prism that is rather large. DLP sets are not as complex but have AR glass a few mirrors that make up the light tunnel and the color wheel has dicromatic glass as well for red green and blue, the Fresnel lens are slightly different, so make KW spot of doom and others make a bar of focused light that is not as usefull , the DLP and LCoS may serve very well for solar destruction, wear a welding mask for that lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I will keep an eye out for them. now that i think of it i did saw more then normal as i worked on them for a service shop in town, maby they have passed on to the junk heap of history, try to find a scrap yard and takes E-waste or ones that just take anything and start "treasure hunting" I am the local dragon that can be some times seen in our local scrap heaps, the ones that take in all scrap instead of just cars are a free for all. see if your local town has a scrap day, sometimes they take in E-waste but wont let you hunt at that phase, get a "thwap on my muzzle and some guy with a clip board yelling "back! back Dragon Back!! Go forth to the junk car that got you here! back to you'r lair you beast!"
    so i slink back into my car and follow there trucks to the main scrap yard that lets me go to town,, personal stuff like on a hard drive i leave or ruin it for them but for copper glass , even test equipment i have saved from the crusher. and best of all they charge by the pound, rather then other criteria,
    One example are 15 pound spools of good grade magnet wire, i got them for just the cost of the copper weight and resold them on ebay to the people that use them as wire and make a profit, in the end i bought all he had that did not need a forked truck to use. the scrap guy gave me a volume discount and now let me into areas mere mortals are not allowed lol

Also check ebay, it will be more expensive but may still offer a better deal, i would only do this with LCoS light engines though in a non working state
    Last edited by Draco; 03-31-2015 at 07:46.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01875.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	46725PBS cube? i believe that is what i referred to in the Sony LCoS system, i have two if you need a picture? They are 4 prisms bonded into a cube with a color filter on each side except what would be the aperture
    Last edited by Draco; 04-01-2015 at 20:00.

please correct me if i am wrong on the block, they are very large compared to the laser orientated versions but seem to work just as well,
    Right now as an experiment , "not visible" i am using one of the dicro's from Sony block on a 45 degree angle that reflects red to mix the 532nm with 650nm, it looks like a burnt orange but as an experiment it's different from just the red or green that i had before