Thread: New Laser Owner - Looking for tips on integrating it into our light show

Default New Laser Owner - Looking for tips on integrating it into our light show

Hey there... I picked up a couple of X-Laser Mobile Beat Max IE's and am working on integrating them into our bands light show... I guess I'm looking for some tips on what to do and what not to do or anything else you guys would like to share...

My current lighting rig consists of 4 Blizzard Blades, 4 230 watt spots and a bunch of Blizzard Pucks for front lighting the band... everything is being run by Sunlight Suite2... I have Quickshow to run the lasers. All the backlighting is on a Global Truss system that we raise 10-12 feet, depending on the venue and that's where I plan on hanging the lasers.

I applied for my variance a couple of weeks ago and don't plan on taking anything out till I have it... but I was hoping to hear how anyone in a similar situation is handling lasers in their show..

Thanks in advance!

C

If possible have a dedicated operator with the laptop at front of house playing the QS work space live for maximum flexibility. DMX to QS is possible but I think keeping the lasers independent is the best way.

I provided lasers for a Pink Floyd tribute band a couple of weeks ago and watching the band no one on stage would have had the time to concentrate on the lasers as well as play there instruments and sing.

The other thing is here in the UK any Class 3b and above laser system has to have a dedicated operator to comply with safety regulation and I'm sure it's a similar case over in the US to comply with the operators variance.

Hope this helps.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Where are you located. There might be someone quite close if you fill out your location in profile. To give you some tips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cbabbman View Post
    Hey there... I picked up a couple of X-Laser Mobile Beat Max IE's and am working on integrating them into our bands light show... I guess I'm looking for some tips on what to do and what not to do or anything else you guys would like to share...

My current lighting rig consists of 4 Blizzard Blades, 4 230 watt spots and a bunch of Blizzard Pucks for front lighting the band... everything is being run by Sunlight Suite2... I have Quickshow to run the lasers. All the backlighting is on a Global Truss system that we raise 10-12 feet, depending on the venue and that's where I plan on hanging the lasers.

I applied for my variance a couple of weeks ago and don't plan on taking anything out till I have it... but I was hoping to hear how anyone in a similar situation is handling lasers in their show..

Thanks in advance!

C
    leading in trailing technology

Sorry... Chicago IL area... Western Suburbs

Less is more, laser projectors should be used like exclamation points, sparingly or they lose their potency. Experiment with the projectors to figure out the best angles (the direction of the laser beams in relation to the audience has a HUGE effect out their brightness to the audience) and have plenty of artificial atmosphere. Play with them, just for fun, in your rig and experiment. Spend some time on programming, simple pre-built effects are impressive to a lot of people but there's a huge visual difference between "flash and trash" and a really well programmed show that helps you get the most out of the hardware and time spent learning Quickshow or Beyond pays dividends.

I agree... the whole point is to just accentuate specific aspects of the show and music rather than to do a continuous bombardment of the senses.....