Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i do this with this?

Default Can i do this with this?

Hi.
    I am just doing some research before buying my first laser.
    With my budget top of the list so far looks like Lightspace's Pluto RGB3400.
    900mw 637nm
    900mw 520nm
    1600mw 445nm
    1.0 mrad
    30 kpps.
    With phoenix Live or Pangolin's Quick show.
    As well as the usual beam shows i would like to create abstract/3D images and sign writing over the dance floor.
    For example, writing band or event names, or for trance events, having an om symbol hanging over the dance floor.
    Is this something that would be possible with this laser and software?
    Thanks for your advice.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

lasers don't project images in free space. if you want animations/writing over the dance floor, you'll have to hang a scrim and project onto it.

the lightspace pluto lasers are a good quality/price.

where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by VMH2 View Post
    Hi.
    I am just doing some research before buying my first laser.
    With my budget top of the list so far looks like Lightspace's Pluto RGB3400.
    900mw 637nm
    900mw 520nm
    1600mw 445nm
    1.0 mrad
    30 kpps.
    With phoenix Live or Pangolin's Quick show.
    As well as the usual beam shows i would like to create abstract/3D images and sign writing over the dance floor.
    For example, writing band or event names, or for trance events, having an om symbol hanging over the dance floor.
    Is this something that would be possible with this laser and software?
    Thanks for your advice.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi.
    Thanks.
    I have seen things on you tube which looked like they were doing this but maybe they were using scrim.
    I am in Portugal.

Hi.
    Thanks.
    I have seen things on you tube which looked like they were doing this but maybe they were using scrim.
    I am in Portugal.
    like this?

https://youtu.be/-X_Pzz4N_f8
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Exactly. ;-)
    And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5mtSnPNL4
    Now i know, i can see the scrim. I guess it would be a matter or experimentation as to what type of material works best?
    I would be using the laser mostly for trance events around 1000 people outside or in a marquee with not a lot of stage lighting, just UV with the occasional rock night with the usual stage lighting but a lot less people.
    Would this laser be enough to do the job do you think?

Exactly. ;-)
    And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5mtSnPNL4
    Now i know, i can see the scrim. I guess it would be a matter or experimentation as to what type of material works best?
    I would be using the laser mostly for trance events around 1000 people outside or in a marquee with not a lot of stage lighting, just UV with the occasional rock night with the usual stage lighting but a lot less people.
    Would this laser be enough to do the job do you think?
    the pluto would probably work ok, but you might be better off upgrading to the 6W ascent series laser.

I have used orange safety netting before . Plenty of long lengths around. Easy to find.

Ok.
    Thanks.
    Unfortunately the 6w is out of my budget. The 3.4 is already pushing it.
    Another thing that is confusing me is crowd scanning.
    I have read on some sites that i need a laser power meter, a Fast silicon photodiode, an oscilloscope and a scientific calculator.
    Then take various measurements at 20 or so points on the dance floor and make calculations with this which i presume i can then use to program the pangolin to lower the beam strength as it lowers over the dance floor.
    On the other hand, on ILDA website i read that the beam density will naturally reduce as it goes lower due to diffraction of the mirror. Also only using wide beams, of course, will reduce beam density.
    So will a 3.4w laser mounted high above the stage and only using wide beams, Ie a wide horizontal beam cutting down through the crowd be safe on it's own.
    Or what about the safety lenses? Is it not better just to fit one of these and leave it like that?
    I don't mind using one that is over kill for my requirements if it gives peace of mind and then changing it later when i have more experience.
    You can see how i might get confused.
    ;-)

The US regulations for audiance scanning require that lasers be measured at many places since a lasers power can vary depending on where you are at. Taking a larger sample size means for a more accurate and realistic measurement of your lasers power. You will for sure need some sort of safety with a 3.4W laser if you are thinking of pointing it at the crowd. Anything over 5mW is considered unsafe for direct exposure. Since your laser is 600x as powerful you will need to make sure you understand all the different things that go into making a safe audiance scan. The requirements in Portugal will be different then the US but they are usually fairly similar, so make sure to look up the laws for your particular country as well as the safety rules for lasers. As has been said recently "A safe show isn't nessicarily a legal show" above all you want your shows safe, not just legal.

I doubt there are any laws here unless they come under any EU legislation and even if there are you wouldn't find anyone to understand or enforce them.
    It's safety i am more concerned with. I don't need any paperwork or meter readings to show officials, just an easily understandable method to ensure any beams which may come in contact with people are within a safe limit.