Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else got a PM20?

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    I'll bet anyone that visited him in his attic "demo room" or spoke to him on the phone knows what I mean when I say he liked a chat

Happy days tho & I did learn a lot from him
    I had a couple of "long" conversations with him , very nice chap though! and extremely helpful to me when I was starting out!

I used a PM19 in a club installation for several years. Towards the end, it became terribly un-reliable, but when working well was able to produce some amazing effects.

Shortly after its demize, I purchased a PM25. Serial number 0000. A pre production prototype. A rock solid desk, easy to use and superbly built and reliable.

I still hanker after a 22 though. Both this and the 25 make superb live desks.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    I used a PM19 in a club installation for several years. Towards the end, it became terribly un-reliable, but when working well was able to produce some amazing effects.

Shortly after its demize, I purchased a PM25. Serial number 0000. A pre production prototype. A rock solid desk, easy to use and superbly built and reliable.

I still hanker after a 22 though. Both this and the 25 make superb live desks.
    The PM22 does have some nice features, with the addition of a simple MIDI-SMPTE event box, you can record shows in real time and sync them up to music or video:-

Default Ritchie

Hi i had the use of one of these controllers a year or so ago & it didnt have any blanking just straight X & Y outputs.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Yag View Post
    This may be yet another question aimed at the UK members, I'm not sure if these were ever exported.

Recently coaxed an old PM20 (Universal Lasers Galaxy) back in to life.

They use a 15 pin D-type connector for the output, though sadly the one on mine was removed at some point, so I've had to decode the wiring for the scanner outputs.

If anybody out there has one or has worked on one, do they know if they actually have a blanking output?

I can't locate a manual for the PM20, I have a PM22 manual (and a PM22) which uses pin 15 for blanking, but in the PM21 manual I found, Pin 15 isn't used, and there is no pin labelled for blanking in the pinout, this may be the same for the PM20.

If anyone knows anything about these old fellas (I've been told it could be over 20 years old!) I'd be very grateful, it's a really fun bit of kit, and otherwise works perfectly!
    Ritchie

Thanks for the info YAG, always wondered what all those knobs etc were on the ext. effects controller! That software is named the same as "Laser Visuals" Beam sculptor software too!

In case anyone is interested, I know George McDuff, the designer of the PM series desks. His workshop is just across the road from me. Should anyone want any of these desks, I can get a very good price on them.

Default PM20

Is there anyone out ther in the south of the uk that can fix the PM 22 as i have 3 to fix and 4 PM 21s.
    or do you have a contact I could call in the uk to fix laser equipment, any help would be great thanks simondj

Simon, have you tried contacting Chamsys (Georges current company) to see if they would entertain repair work or seeing if they can recommend someone?

Failing that, I know someone in the Southampton area who used to build some of the early Chamsys wings for George who may have been involved with Chamtech, I can hit him up to see if you like?

P.S. shame about that stop switch, £10 eh
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Smile PM22

Thanks for the reply
    If you could get intouch with the guy in Southampton that would be great.
    I have tried to contact George via lots of diferant people but he wants nothing to do with it any more as i have 2 stealth lasers for repair too. I just need a good sparkie to sort out my laser show. thanks simondj

I've hit him up, I'll let you know when he gets back to me.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.