Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else got a PM20?

Default Anyone else got a PM20?

This may be yet another question aimed at the UK members, I'm not sure if these were ever exported.

Recently coaxed an old PM20 (Universal Lasers Galaxy) back in to life.

They use a 15 pin D-type connector for the output, though sadly the one on mine was removed at some point, so I've had to decode the wiring for the scanner outputs.

If anybody out there has one or has worked on one, do they know if they actually have a blanking output?

I can't locate a manual for the PM20, I have a PM22 manual (and a PM22) which uses pin 15 for blanking, but in the PM21 manual I found, Pin 15 isn't used, and there is no pin labelled for blanking in the pinout, this may be the same for the PM20.

If anyone knows anything about these old fellas (I've been told it could be over 20 years old!) I'd be very grateful, it's a really fun bit of kit, and otherwise works perfectly!

No blanking on those good old boy's, just a shutter. I think this was for a PM20 or PM21 - but I'm pretty sure they are the same as the 21 was just a face-lifted 20. I don't have a manual for either model, sorry.. but here's a pinout I had in my laserdocs archive if it helps.

1=Ground
    2=Shutter
    3=Y+
    4=Y-
    5=X+
    6=X-
    7=Data+
    8=Data-
    9=Red
    10=Green
    11=Blue
    12=Servo A
    13=Servo B
    14=Not Connected
    15=Not Connected

Further info from Sir Yag:

Code wise, I have 9, 11, 10, 12 as a "clear" command to empty the scene banks, you may have to do this if the internal backup battery (little varta memopak thing) has gone flat and it's got corrupted. Worth leaving it plugged in for a bit if that's the case and giving it a charge.

I have code 1, 4, 2, 5 to use and edit.

If you want to add text, you'll need a PC XT keyboard. When editing, the "F1" key accesses text entry.
    Last edited by p1t8ull; 03-28-2012 at 23:33.
    A little bit werrrr, a little bit weyyyyyy, a little bit arrrrgggghhh

All above............................
    Last edited by p1t8ull; 03-28-2012 at 23:33.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Oops, that lost some format

Second try:

1=Ground
    2=Shutter
    3=Y+
    4=Y-
    5=X+
    6=X-
    7=Data+
    8=Data-
    9=Red
    10=Green
    11=Blue
    12=Servo A
    13=Servo B
    14=Not Connected
    15=Not Connected
    Ah! I thought that might be the case, I won't probe for a blanking signal then! Thanks for that!

I might try and locate the shutter signal and interface that to my blanking, that'll then give me control over the beam from the panel, and let me use that rather funky sounding "flash" function!

Thanks again for your time!

Hi Yag

I have one also .... im a stickler for backup .... so i have the PM20 in a rack with my mamba .... so if the PC crashes and i have to reboot ... i switch over to the PM20 which keeps it all going

Just a word of warning it takes ages to set up all the presets with different frames and effects and sequences .... but once they are in its a great live console BUT make sure you power it up every couple of weeks as the shows are stored in static Ram and is batterybacked by a small nicad ( 3.6v oval type with three legs ) and i left mine for 2 months and lost everything .... you also need to change out the nicad every couple of years as they leak and damage the pcb ..... ive had to repair the tracks on mine a couple of times .....

i was thinking of getting an Avatar Console from medialas as thats the nearest thing to the PM20 series ..... but then i thought i might go for the pangolin with a live console .... then i looked at my bank ballance .... so i think i will keep the PM20 a bit longer

all the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi Yag

I have one also .... im a stickler for backup .... so i have the PM20 in a rack with my mamba .... so if the PC crashes and i have to reboot ... i switch over to the PM20 which keeps it all going

Just a word of warning it takes ages to set up all the presets with different frames and effects and sequences .... but once they are in its a great live console BUT make sure you power it up every couple of weeks as the shows are stored in static Ram and is batterybacked by a small nicad ( 3.6v oval type with three legs ) and i left mine for 2 months and lost everything .... you also need to change out the nicad every couple of years as they leak and damage the pcb ..... ive had to repair the tracks on mine a couple of times .....

i was thinking of getting an Avatar Console from medialas as thats the nearest thing to the PM20 series ..... but then i thought i might go for the pangolin with a live console .... then i looked at my bank ballance .... so i think i will keep the PM20 a bit longer

all the best .... Karl
    PC? Crash? Never!

That's a pretty good use for them, despite all the trauma this one has suffered, it's still rock solid!

The battery seems ok at the moment, but I will keep an eye on it, and probably replace it before I load up the memory proper, thanks for the tip!

I don't think I'll be buying any of the modern live consoles (my bank balance says no as well!) but these old units really are fun to use, and the PM22 I also have is a very capable unit (the audio triggered effects VU meter, oscilloscope etc. are excellent).

I dont think Ive ever seen one of those over on this side of the pond.

It sounds like a pretty cool unit.. Perhaps one of you kind chaps could snap a few pix so we can see
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

The older PM20 (branded as a Galaxy) :

the PM21 that superceded it:

http://www.chamtech.demon.co.uk/PM21.htm

Great unit's for backup controllers and simple shows. No blanking/AOM control or complicated graphics etc. but the PM22 and up have more functions and ability.

The PM22, does have a lot more

I do feel though that it pushes the boundaries of what you can actually do without a screen (there are two small alphanumeric screens, and they are worked very hard!), the earlier models are a bit more practical, though the midi interface on the PM22 is fun, I've linked it to keyboards and digital drum pads for live playing!

heres a picy of mine

notice that they were branded under different names

mine a laser grafix Midas .... chameleon made them for quite a few laser install companys with the installers name on them

all the best ... Karl