Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RayComposer - a new laser show software for Windows & Mac OS X

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Vector just means the software calculates the optimized "points" for you on the fly. Vector image formats store just the end points and color changes on the image, as opposed to storing EVERY point. So a vector format stores color, magnitude, and direction of each scanner move. Both systems output similar waveforms to the DAC. Play with the vector settings... Things might improve. Vector is the more modern method. Pangolin also uses Vector in more modern systems. Vector is known to scan faster in many cases, allowing better use of the Galvo's performance.

Steve
    She may or may not be referring to how fonts are made of beziers and have minimal points so they originate as vectors, similar to what you are speaking of. It could be that the software isn't adding enough points along the curves. Maybe there is a setting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    She may or may not be referring to how fonts are made of beziers and have minimal points so they originate as vectors, similar to what you are speaking of. It could be that the software isn't adding enough points along the curves. Maybe there is a setting for that.
    Yes, I believe that is the case. The fonts seem to have minimal points with bezier curves. There's no setting to change how it works. But there is the ability to manually add extra points to the lines. I suppose that is the solution for "funny" fonts.

FYI, in case you missed it, RayComposer released a new RayComposer NET laser show DAC with Ethernet LAN. I know this is a game-changer for many. I'm still running my original DAC because I don't do professional shows or use multiple projectors. Robin also just started a mailing list for RayComposer owners to get in touch, ask questions, share tips and tricks and laser artwork. That will be very welcomed by me as it's helpful to see what other's are doing. Apparently there are a lot of users now, especially since the network version was released. Not sure if anyone else around Photolexicon is using RayComposer. If you are, join the list and let's start sharing!
    Last edited by wendylou; 05-31-2017 at 07:29.

In response to the "not enough points" problem; the output quality of RayComposer has improved a lot recently, so our promise that you can just draw things without worrying about where the points are placed actually holds true for all but the most extreme cases.

But then there are still people who prefer to work in the traditional way where you directly edited the points (=samples) that are sent to the scanners (often called "point-pulling").
    If you draw the points on the screen connected by lines they don't match what you really see on the laser. I wondered how I could integrated this with RayComposer, where
    our approach is "What you seen (on the screen) is what you get (on the laser)." This is what I came up with:

RayComposer does a pretty accurate simulation of what traditional point-based laser graphics will look like on a real laser. It does so in the editor - so you directly see
    the effect of pulling points while drawing. It does so as well in the 3D preview, on the timeline or for the video export. The results look absolutely gorgeous when you run old
    ilda files through it.

We've been shipping this feature for about a year now and you can try it in our free Designer's Edition.

Greetings,
    Robin

Did Medialas DAC support make it through?

Just gonna try this out - I'm planning to move from Medialas Mamba up to a new software, either Pangolin with FB3 or something else and this looks very, very usable!
    My kit: Mamba Elements V3 & DAC, ILD SOS & LaserCam, LaserDock DAC, Kvant Clubmax 1800 (2017)

Hi Melgarh,

RayComposer only works with our DAC interfaces (DAC = software license); however our DAC drivers implement the MLD API from Medialas, so you will be able to use these with Mamba (and other software).

Greetings,
    Robin

Default Is RayComposer still active?

I see the website is still up but haven’t heard from Robin in years. I tried emailing but don’t get a response. I still use the pro version of RayComposer on Mac. Anyone know if RayComposer is still active?
    Last edited by wendylou; 06-11-2022 at 06:19.