Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ALL type of laser pointers now illegal in Norway !

Fle, I think you're being disingenuous in your arguments, but I don't expect to have a straightforward discussion with a gun-toting libertarian

Part of the issue the rest of the world generally has with US gun laws is not to do with 'the bad guys' but actually simply the number of guns that are out there, and the tragic accidents we hear about where people and often children kill/maim themselves or each other through mishandling something they should never have had their hands on in the first place.

It is a simple numbers game - fewer weapons in those scenarios leads to fewer incidents of that kind. That is but one example that isn't your classic 'the bad guys got guns, I wanna defend myself' scenario that we hear a lot of.

Datsurb - I know of what you describe, my fiancée is Danish, with Norwegian and Swedish ancestors and immediate relatives, and I love hearing the nuances of culture. There are so many things that they have specific words and phrases for that just don't exist in English, and she finds it hard to relate them to me. 'Thanks for Coffee' is a recent one that's had me puzzled
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Fle, I think you're being disingenuous in your arguments, but I don't expect to have a straightforward discussion with a gun-toting libertarian
    Careful what you say, we're armed you know.

Part of the issue the rest of the world generally has with US gun laws is not to do with 'the bad guys' but actually simply the number of guns that are out there, and the tragic accidents we hear about where people and often children kill/maim themselves or each other through mishandling something they should never have had their hands on in the first place.
    I actually think it should be about the bad guys. If there weren't any bad guys then we could do pretty well with grampa's shotgun and go hunting with the Norwegians. And, what about the numbers? If the population of the US is 350M and 1/2 are adults then one gun/person with some non owners and some enthusiasts thrown in and a couple of hundred million guns seams reasonable. Any number from 50M to 500M, plausible.

Accidents and carelessness can represent poor risk management. However, nothing is risk free and given enough time anything can happen, anything.

The contrary view from the US of Europe (and the UK for that matter) is that your culture is too restrictive. For many years you have pushed social and with the Euro, financial collectivism. It has made you the magnet of millions and in a few years, hundreds of millions of refuges/immigrants/invaders primarily from North Africa as well as numerous third world nations. These nations are not third world do to bad luck or latitude, their populations are rife with illiteracy disease and primitive/ brutal behaviors. Rotherham is an example of this screwed up social tolerance of these threats. UKIP and Le Pen are the beneficiaries of the reaction many Europeans are having to this poorly controlled process. I predict that the American's love of their guns and their own culture will spread to Europe before this is over. I hope so, otherwise I fear a second Kristallnacht or civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

Actually Norty I don't think it has anything to do with sheer numbers. The reason why there are so many incidents in the US is a lack of gun security. In the UK guns have to be stored unloaded in a locked safe which only the licence holder is allowed the keys to (not even their spouse is allowed to have access to the keys). In the case of ammunition, this has to be stored in either a separate safe or separate locked compartment within the main safe. The result is access to guns and ammo is very limited and only accessible by the licence holder. In the US by contrast, many guns are stored loaded in drawers or shoe boxes etc within the home giving easy access to them by disillusioned kids, people in a flight of rage etc. Therein lies the main issue, accessibility by those who shouldn't have access. As someone once said, guns don't kill people, people do...

.and it's the same with laser pointers and 3rd party eyes. The issue is not the existence of these pointers but their availability to all. For something unlicensed, you really need them to be restricted to class 1 or 2, or the equivalent of the BB gun if you want to think of it that way.

Yes, what I expressed poorly was the fact that guns seem to be so 'normal' and so people get comfortable with them, and having them around (I've no idea if this is true or not, I think the laws change state to state don't they?)

Anyway, with all the police vids we keep seeing, it sounds like its the 'good guys' you've gotta watch out for
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Anyway, with all the police vids we keep seeing, it sounds like its the 'good guys' you've gotta watch out for
    Actually, I bet the incidence of the "good guys" misbehaven is probably down, but the scrutiny is up. I think the scrutiny is depressing it. I agree that guns are treated with a casualness that is inappropriate to their threat. I don't think this is due to a deep philosophy. I just think too many people are sloppy and lazy.

I think the good guys, the officials, the government are not superior to the rest of us. It's their job to deal with weapons and they have the training and they have rules to follow. So, I fear them less to make casual mistakes, but because they have so much power I fear them more to abuse the rest of us, intentionally. I'll keep my guns (and my lasers).

In my state it was made easier to get training and carry a firearm for self defense and you know, our violent crime rate went down a bit, i know there are different mind sets on a forum like this but the views i am seeing are relay surprising. I relay hate to say this but you do know that humans are apex predators and a certain percentage that are out to steal, cheat and rob, thats a fact of life all around the world and to think that you are safer because your government took your means of self defense away, and all the scary guns away is fundamentally flawed.
    This was supost to be about the damned laser pointers and not a way to vent one's left wing view on weapons and how happy of a world we "would" be with out it.

"It have been proven many times that the majority of people can be guided into "good citizens" with a fair and firm hand"

It's ideas like that , that lead to monsters gaining power and totally screwing over there own people. Also what is a "good citizen"? sheep that follow what they are told? or people that question things? I don't think it takes much effort to figure that one out.
    Last edited by Draco; 04-15-2015 at 23:44.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
    flecom: Not sure if you having a bad day or something, or you really think it`s OK that a man goes out and kill kids ?
    You seems to have a very high interest in that one psychopath killing little kids on a island, as you have mention that dude for like 5 times now, providing 2 links with the subject, that have absolutely NOTHING with laser to do.

I was referring that Norway have no guns and now we don't have laser pointers either, and I personally think that is OK.
    I dont think "your" country is bad, if I did I would not go there every summer.

But I personally think the weapon laws in US is crazy, and I know I`m not alone about thinking that.
    And if I start digging in wiki or in the news, maybe find some nice videos on liveleak about police officers killing kids and sick sick sick people from your place killing each other with guns, I will find allot.

But I have no intention to dig up dirt about where you live and post it here to make your day bad. I really not see the point !?

That man you are talking about (yes we call him "that man" because we want to forget his name not make him a hero), did something pretty awful like KILLING KIDS, and you use that person to make a point ? there was a 17 year old girl living not far away from me that was shot in the head by that guy. if you want I can send you some pictures of her.
    I think my point was quite obvious, murdering people is illegal in Norway right? did that stop "that man" or whatever (also you realize trying to forget/erase history is how it gets repeated right?? that's another argument)

you can't pass crazy laws to try and keep crazy people from doing crazy things... that's just... well, crazy

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

It is a simple numbers game - fewer weapons in those scenarios leads to fewer incidents of that kind. That is but one example that isn't your classic 'the bad guys got guns, I wanna defend myself' scenario that we hear a lot of.

Datsurb - I know of what you describe, my fiancée is Danish, with Norwegian and Swedish ancestors and immediate relatives, and I love hearing the nuances of culture. There are so many things that they have specific words and phrases for that just don't exist in English, and she finds it hard to relate them to me. 'Thanks for Coffee' is a recent one that's had me puzzled
    you hear about those things because they make great sensational news

according to the CDC there were about 50 gun accidents resulting in death of someone <13years old in 2011... there are an estimated 270-310 MILLION guns in the US... I'd say we are doing quite well...

none of my guns have killed me yet... but I lost them all in a tragic boating accident

anyway weren't you guys trying to ban knives not that long ago? you could totally kill someone with a knife... look at that dude in china

Quote Originally Posted by Datsurb View Post
    A lot of the immigrants coming to Norway are fortune seekers, without a legitimate reason to be here, and causing a lot of trouble.
    wow
    Last edited by flecom; 04-16-2015 at 00:53.

One thing i found out too is accidents and suicides are counted as gun related deaths in the USA, some other countries use different metrics.

I mean do disrespect but i am tending to notice that people in the EU that i come in contact with seem to have an attitude that they are better then the rest of the world, god i hope it's just because i had a few annoying customers.

On the lighter side i wish i could get a T-shirt that reads " I am not an accurate representation of a human"
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    i know there are different mind sets on a forum like this but the views i am seeing are relay surprising.
    That's at least in part because the government in the UK effectively brainwashes everyone into believing that guns are evil and should be banned. There's equally a lot of left wing support for the premise that shooting animals is cruel and should be banned despite the fact that most animals shot in the UK are pest species that are causing a problem and only prevalent because man has already disturbed the natural balance making control inevitable. However, these people don't see this, only that animals shouldn't be killed. They can't grasp the reality of what would actually happen to food production if pest species were left to rise to epidemic rather than just excessive proportions. They also can't grasp the fact that shooting is in many people's opinion more humane than the meat they buy in the shops through the abattoir process as the animal is in it's natural environment and never knows what hit it with an instantaneous death, compared to an animal taken in a pen to a processing plant that smells of blood, is hung upside down, supposedly stunned and then bleeds to death through having it's throat cut.

White-light, I think you just read my mind
    I used to be an animals rights nut, (i have since toned that down) and the reason i did this was from the advice of my dad, as a wild life photographer and being in the woods for longs times caused me to drastically changed my views, in general wild animals are taken down more humane that in factory slaughter houses, the animals in the wild live better as well, even though i do eat meat now (i was vegetarian ) I will go out of my way and pay the extra money for what i eat as i try to obtain free-range and more naturally raised animals that i atlest hope had happy times before there number came up, my spiritual views are also a motivation. I usually get some entertainment when some one is telling me i should not eat meat when they are wearing leather shoes and belts, lol
    It's totally hypocritical to argue agenest managed and fair hunting, i never support killing for just the sake of killing, it's not a light issue taking life to keep your life intact. i have respect for what i eat and don't take it lightly

my view on the police is that they are there to solve a crime after it happened and hopefully prosecute the people after a fair trail, and when i a crime is in action the police can't protect you, they will always arrive late, the act to self defense and be self reliant until the police arrive is very critical, laws do not protect people, they provide a way to prosecute and deal with the involved people after a crime as occurred, personal safety is the sole responsibility of the individual, some events can be totally avoided with just a little bit of training