Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ALL type of laser pointers now illegal in Norway !

Thumbs up ALL type of laser pointers now illegal in Norway !

I give it a try on Google translate:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

But after 1. July if you get caught having a laser pointer you WILL get a fine and it will be taken away from you.
    Basically this mean that in Norway we have the same rules for a laser pointer and guns. That is btw OK for me, because I`m sick and tired of kids pointing at cars and planes and making a bad reputation for the people doing laser the safe and legal way !

My only concern is when will they go to the next step and check every club that own lasers. as I have no licence to own my lasers !!

... seems to be meant for 'strong laserpointers' with powers >1mW or defined as class 3R, 3B and 4 ... what's with the powers between class 1 to 3R?

Viktor

There is the same discussion in Germany. In 2014 they checked, if a laser pointer is equal to a weapon - just to use the hard laws in this case.
    It's based on 300 counted laser attacks against airplanes in 2014 (only in Germany).
    Alex - no one does it better

and we all know that laws prevent people from doing bad things!

how did those gun laws work out for you guys in 2011?

Remember ages ago hearing of changes in laws coming to UK too , im sure something similar is
    on its way here to UK too , basic common sense and giving police etc powers to back it up
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

My only concern is when will they go to the next step and check every club that own lasers. as I have no licence to own my lasers !!
    I kinda hope they do. But, to be fair the police should be required to exchange it for a Nuk. Just think about it. If a "strong laser pointer" of 2mW output is treated like a gun then a multi-watt club laser should be considered similar to an RPG and the possession of which should be punishable by confiscation, fines, prison time and...why not, torture. Don't try to tell me that all club owners are members of some elite, hyper-responsible society and can be trusted with access to such incredible energies.

Irresponsible USE (assault with a knife) of an item rather than its possession (kitchen utensils) should justify intervention by the state. In terms of a threat assessment Norway (and Europe) would do better to ban the Koran.

basic common sense and giving police etc powers to back it up
    Basic common sense may be lacking, but certainly not police powers.

The EU has recently passed a Directive aimed at helping to address the laser pointer problem, so eventually we will see a similar approach being adopted across all member states. More will become apparent soon when the exact implementation approach is agreed. I don't see this affecting legitimate use of lasers for professional applications. It is instead intended to limit the type of lasers that consumers can (legally) get their hands on.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

I wonder how successful the lasers are now classed as a "terrorist weapon" in Australia ? legislation was ?

as it sounds like we in EU are heading towards that ?

In norway / eu directive is their any provision for "hobbyist" exclusions , for responsible owning and use ?
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    The EU has recently passed a Directive aimed at helping to address the laser pointer problem, so eventually we will see a similar approach being adopted across all member states. More will become apparent soon when the exact implementation approach is agreed. I don't see this affecting legitimate use of lasers for professional applications. It is instead intended to limit the type of lasers that consumers can (legally) get their hands on.

James
    Does that mean consumers can no longer buy Class 3 or 4 projectors once enacted?

For the moment in most European countries - everything is still possibible...
    The German laws to run a Laser above class 2 are there since many years - but they only cover 'how' and 'where'. Most stuff is based on studies and technical advices.

Because of - there is no concrete law - they use unbelievable laws - from which they mean it will cover all this stuff.
    So - an airline Pilot opened a case against a guy with a red laser printer - 'tried manslaughter' in 220 cases (all people in the plane). Finally the German court let him pay 1000 for 'dangerous interference with the air traffic'...