Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radiant X4: A Laser Power Meter for the budget minded!

Default Radiant X4: A Laser Power Meter for the budget minded!

Hi Everyone,
    I'm pleased to offer up for sale a new LPM targeted towards enthusiasts on a budget. The photos will do the talking.

LCD Screen? ✓
    Datalogging with a computer? ✓
    Up to 3.7W? ✓
    Just under $100? ✓
    Here are some more formal specifications..

Specifications
    Power supply: 5V USB
    Sensor area: 225mm^2
    Cooling: Conduction
    Power range: 1mW to 3700mW (10mW minimum recommended)
    Resolution: 100μW
    Response time (0-95%): 25s
    Spectral range: 400nm to 2000nm
    Features
     Radiant LightSpeed data logging interface software (Windows)
     Peregrine data logging interface software (Windows, Mac, Linux)
     Software zeroing
     3700mW maximum power
     1mW min power (10mW recommended)
     100μW resolution
     Peak detection
     Multiple data stream protocols
     Rich menu system with Ellipsis-X firmware

Please go to:

for more information.
    They will be available for purchase here: https://illuminationsupply.com/radia...tronics-c-110/

Thats a very good price, and a very large sensor area compared with the alternative options.
    Do you/can you calibrate these against a known quantity power meter?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Thats a very good price, and a very large sensor area compared with the alternative options.
    Do you/can you calibrate these against a known quantity power meter?
    They are calibrated to a Coherent LPM with an up to date calibration!

Craig

Can I use a Scientech 360001 (up to 20W CW) with this board and display? If so I'm in when I can afford it. Also, does it accelerate the response of the thermopile for fast stable early readings? If so I am definitely in.

One other thing... I use an older version of Windows. It's likely I can't run the software. Do you have a way to avoid that kind of limit, perhaps using AT commands via serial to fetch a log? Or even just outputting via serial and leaving the collection up to us.

As an owner of the first Radiant model, can you offer details of each trimpot so I can calibrate against a known meter? Last time I compared it with Kits Coherant mine was out by roughly 10%.

Cheers.
    This space for rent.

I was a beta tester for the original model ( meter reading ONLY when used with a PC) I am very happy with my Radiant- it worked fine with Lightspeed soft for graphing and even better with Perergrin..

So along with the seller csshih i can vouch for the LPM too- Being able to make/save graphs is the only way to go IMHO..The reason these were never put into production had NOTHING to do with the LPM- I will not go into this-- let that sleeping dog stay asleep.

GL on your sale Craig--hak

ps

If i could afford it -this LPM would already be sold.

At under a hundred bucks I'm already in for sure. But I mention some stuff I find desirable on principle because if it sounds stupid now it would only sound more stupid doing it later. My own laser meter board is one I designed myself, but it has lousy instability with temperature. What I gain in nice clean fast differentiator response, I lose in ridiculous set-up times every time I need it.

Edit:
    Thought just occurred to me... As a differentiator makes a signal proportional to rate of change, settling to zero as the main signal settles to constancy, it ought to be possible to make a differentiator accelerator for ANY thermopile, buffer the original signal at unity gain, mixed with the right amount of differentiator signal. Then, feed the result to any power meter that can use that thermopile. Not only will this work, it will also not compromise any calibration. And using it would be as easy as inserting it into the wiring between thermopile and meter, and providing some power to the accelerator circuit. What's more, as it does not adjust calibration, an end user can adjust for the best compromise of speed and stability of early response for their thermopile. (Though how easy that might be depends on how different the available thermopiles are. Ideally a single preset multiturn pot, but perhaps switching in or out of a capacitor or two as well.)
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-13-2013 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Can I use a Scientech 360001 (up to 20W CW) with this board and display? If so I'm in when I can afford it. Also, does it accelerate the response of the thermopile for fast stable early readings? If so I am definitely in.

One other thing... I use an older version of Windows. It's likely I can't run the software. Do you have a way to avoid that kind of limit, perhaps using AT commands via serial to fetch a log? Or even just outputting via serial and leaving the collection up to us.
    I'm afraid not. This is built for the sensor we include. There are no predictive algorithms on the X4, I'm afraid.

As for an older version of windows - try running the executable. No installation is required.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    As an owner of the first Radiant model, can you offer details of each trimpot so I can calibrate against a known meter? Last time I compared it with Kits Coherant mine was out by roughly 10%.
    Dnar - calibration is not linear. It is also in the software of the device.

Thank you all for the support!

Craig

If I can find it I will. Still looking at the Illuminations Supply site.. On which I also see Etherdream! *starts saving money*. I'll get both at once to minimise shipping costs. This will take me a while, but likely within what's left of the year.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-13-2013 at 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    If I can find it I will. Still looking at the Illuminations Supply site.. On which I also see Etherdream! *starts saving money*. I'll get both at once to minimise shipping costs. This will take me a while, but likely within what's left of the year.
    http://www.radiantelectronics.org/ whoops, sorry. should be right under downloads.

Craig