Thread: Can 808nm 50W diode array bars be pulsed for higher output power?

Default Can 808nm 50W diode array bars be pulsed for higher output power?

Hi, I have some 808nm diode array bars, some inside a FAP, others not, but I'm interested in seeing if there is the possibility of pulse driving them for significantly higher output than their average power ratings. What I have are some 20 watt Oclare bar diode arrays and some 40-50 watt Coherent FAP units.

You could push them higher the same way that we drive visible diodes higher than spec with the associated reduction in lifetime. But, 50% would be seriously pushing it and I wouldn't even go this far if the bar was expensive. The lasing volume in these diodes, all of them, is so incredibly small that they have very little thermal inertia. There are special diodes that are made to be pulsed, but their average power tens to be pretty low.
    http://www.nlight.net/nlight-files/f...%20Cooling.PDF

Thank you again planters. OK, for that amount more, not worth it. I was hoping it could do much more if pulsed, such as the laser diodes designed to do so being only the size of a small transistor with less than 100mw of average power capability, able to output 75 watts with 1ns pulses.

With pulses that short and multiples that high then my example is not that appropriate. Your limitation here will probably facet damage threshold. The QCW diodes might work for you. I don't know how fast they can be modulated/pulsed as long as the peak and average power limits are not exceeded. You might contact nlight. They were helpful to me in the past.

OK, I've emailed sales at nlight.net and hope they might have some info to give me an idea if buying a pulse modulator is worth a try or not.

Thank you