Thread: Artistic use of scan rate artifacts in video

Default Artistic use of scan rate artifacts in video

Forgive me if this is a re-post, but it is really cool. I bumped into a coworker at a Squarepusher show and he mentioned this when I told him that I work with lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2uatQ7k0Rw

-Sal

That was VERY cool! Thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    Forgive me if this is a re-post, but...
    You are not forgiven.. Instead, you are Praised.. Very cool.. Nice to finally see this 'be used', to-purpose.. We did a 'fractionally, not-even partially as-cool' version of this with a vid in 2010.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFq-yYHv80 (relevant-laser parts start at about 3:03..) Adjusted scan-rates to approximate some of 'Atom's drumming / keyboards, etc / they played with frame-rates in-Cammy to get interference that matched the beats, etc. Kinda-sorta cool.. But, even tho it's 'been done', have not seen such a well-executed, creative-use as this.. Nods to the post..

..Now all we have to do is figure out how to 'upcharge' for this when Client's start calling / asking for '...those lasers that can make dancing ribbons in mid-air and go backwards'..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Novel use of shutter speed / scan rate control.

I can see this effect getting picked up by Hollywood very soon as it could create some very cool effects for clubs or other uses in futuristic films.

It's just a pity you can't actually do this in real life. How cool would that be!

lasers are retro? seriously the video was awesome but I wanted to reach through the computer and smack that guy, the smug was off the charts!!

thank you for sharing that with us
    Polk SDA SRS, Parasound HCA 3500, Luxman M117, Onkyo 504, 7.62X39, sometimes a ball on a string is the greatest of toys for us nonhuman types. oh and some lasers, lots of lasers