Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FB4 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    I have a feeling that no one answering questions about about the interlock/e-stop means that it is still going to require another cable run for it, which would be a pain in the ass for everyone who wires into the ILDA pins for the E-stop.
    well if it doesn't have things like mirror/swap and other stuff for the ilda input, your ARE going to need another board/electronics for that. we are GOING to compare this to Moncha.net and etherdream. But i'm sure good manufacturers will have all as options you can choose from when ordering an entertainment laser.

it's like having a media server built into a projector. might be cool on something like a High End Systems DLV but who will rent that when a normal tour video projector is more desirable/ fits more markets. Not to mention more people want to hire a video projector than a laser. CITP came out of controlling media from the lighting console. Are the video guys mad? or does one become diversified in multiple aspects of live performance? it's just another tool for what is ultimately an expressive instrument meant mainly for artistic entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I agree. The answer is that there are threats that the police are only involved in during the aftermath. And, in the long run, governments are fallible and corrupt.
    I think the difference here is in Europe we own guns for pest control not self defence.

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    I have a feeling that no one answering questions about about the interlock/e-stop means that it is still going to require another cable run for it, which would be a pain in the ass for everyone who wires into the ILDA pins for the E-stop.
    They're not really giving any specifications away though so I'm not sure this means anything.

I find it very strange that it's email Pangolin for details.

Surely having announced and showcased the product at the Trade Shows, all the competitors are now fully aware of it's specifications and abilities. It seems rather an unusual decision therefore not to just publish a spec sheet.

Only reason I can think of is that Pangolin isn't ready to go to production yet and so hasn't actually released specs at the trade shows, but just stated it combines DAC, Memory card playback and ILDA and said nothing else. I would have thought it was unusual to show off a product at a show without a spec release though.

They are taking orders already now but boards will be shipped end May. The retail price is known and is just a few more than a FB3.

If I understood correctly you can make adjustments directly on the board like projection size, XY mirror, color intensity etc, and this can be adjusted directly from Beyond. Not sure if it remains stored in the board, would be great.

And you can access the pins solders of the RJ45 connector so it may be possible to connect the unused pairs to something into your projector which controls interlock (relay, etc), but you still have to inject this signal at the other and and this will be problematic if you use a switch, which is required almost all the time...

Do you believe that to be the case? Or indeed that it is MORE polite than an unarmed society?
    No, I agree, just more polite. It has to do with equality and the gun is just one equalizer in a violent environment. Social stigma such as isolation for rude or inappropriate behavior also acts as an equalizer, but only when there is an intact social order.

living our lives in accordance with principles invented by science fiction authors is how we got scientology...
    Oh ya, that's a scarey group. But, I'm not going interplanetary on you. This is in keeping with the principals that underlie our constitution. John Locke was the philosopher that explained that the government must be limited, responsive to the wishes of the governed or changed. I'm not advocating that any government should be running scarred or operate out out of fear, but that the reverse is worse. They work for us not the other way around.

I think the difference here is in Europe we own guns for pest control not self defence.
    Fair enough, but that might change and if it did it would be better if that was YOUR choice. Especially because you do not know, now, what you may need to defend against.

They're not really giving any specifications away though so I'm not sure this means anything.

I find it very strange that it's email Pangolin for details.

Surely having announced and showcased the product at the Trade Shows, all the competitors are now fully aware of it's specifications and abilities. It seems rather an unusual decision therefore not to just publish a spec sheet.
    They seem to do this regularly. I may not be fully up to date, but what is the status of their scanners? There were announcements years ago with some releases of partial systems of the 506 and select shipments of the Saturn systems. Of course, a product will evolve after the release, but here it seems like the product is released before it is fully developed. As an amateur with no time horizon this is of little consequence to me and it is even fun to follow the updates and get my hands on some hardware every so often. But, this could make a professional who might incorporate this new interface less willing to develop around it.

No, I agree, just more polite.
    So, in your opinion, America is more polite than other countries because it has guns?

In my opinion that's a bit of a stretch of the imagination, or indeed probably beyond the realms of any study conducted (although I wait to be proven wrong with citations of course )

Does that also apply in New York? (pulling stereotypical reference from the hat, based on rest-of-the-world perceptions of rude city types....)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

So, in your opinion, America is more polite than other countries because it has guns?

In my opinion that's a bit of a stretch of the imagination, or indeed probably beyond the realms of any study conducted (although I wait to be proven wrong with citations of course )
    You asked a question, but then proceed on an assumption. I think some areas of the wold including the US are more polite than THEY WOULD BE if the only armed individuals were the thugs. I actually will look for the citations that support a reduction in assaults in a region, after a concealed-carry law was passed.

This concept applies everywhere and includes New York. I'm not trying to be factious, but I don't think my in laws will be more considerate on a New Year's get together if they know I'm packing heat. This is what I meant by the social pressures that guide behavior when social systems are intact.

I have a real concern that personal liberty is being eroded, including the liberty to live free of fear from attack, by governments that say they are here to protect me, but who are really afraid of a loss of control and compliance with their agenda. The US is a good example, but so is Russia. These governments are there to further the interests of a ruling class. They tax, arrest and imprison you, if you don't comply. How many has Putin assassinated. Most start out like you and me, but end up as privileged, multimillionaires, above our laws and not as self sacrificing public servants. This is not the exception it might even be the majority.

Well, I was working with what was in front of me to be fair.

I guess I'm trying to get at the core issues here, and you may have highlighted one with

I think some areas of the wold including the US are more polite than THEY WOULD BE if the only armed individuals were the thugs
    Whilst other areas of the world (including here) do have gun crime, what is it about the US that makes it seem like its more prevalent - to the point where everyone needs to arm themselves in response?

What I'm saying is that, although other areas have gun crime, they aren't dealing with it by allowing the citizens to arm themselves in response. And neither are the citizens out on the streets demanding they be allowed to carry guns in response (Copenhagen for example - a close to home example for me as my fiancee is Danish and was passing through Copenhagen the day before the shootings on her way home with our daughter)

Are you saying that the US lacks the social pressures of elsewhere, and its the gun laws that are partly responsible for holding the status quo?

P.S. the New York reference was a joke based on the sold perception of grumpy 'Noo Yoikers' on our tellys.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

what is it about the US that makes it seem like its more prevalent
    That's a tough question. Most research seems to point to a huge disparity in income (class structure if you will)

to the point where everyone needs to arm themselves in response?
    I don't feel the need for a gun. Guns have one purpose.. to kill things. Kind of disgusting if you think about it. Research has shown owning a gun does not make one "more safe".

I understand what planters is saying about the gov. But really, whats a pistol gonna do against a tank?

Are you saying that the US lacks the social pressures of elsewhere, and its the gun laws that are partly responsible for holding the status quo?
    The vast majority of gun crime and violence is an urban phenomenon. Get out of the big cities and specifically the ethnic ghettos and the US is close to European violence levels.

Research has shown owning a gun does not make one "more safe".
    "more safe" than... If I lived or had to visit an area where I feared violence then caring a gun would make me feel more safe while there, but I may feel less safe than if I remained unarmed and never went there.

I understand what planters is saying about the gov. But really, whats a pistol gonna do against a tank?
    Nothing. That doesn't mean you can't stop a tank, but you won't do it with a pistol. I'd rather do it in Washington, but if I had to do it closer to home there are some neat things that not only go farther off topic, but are probably best left off line as well.

P.S. the New York reference was a joke based on the sold perception of grumpy 'Noo Yoikers' on our tellys.
    I knew exactly what you meant and we could use Paris as another example, but that wouldn't have been fair, as that is a middle eastern city.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    Research has shown owning a gun does not make one "more safe".
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...georgia-254624

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1566715.stm

Guess it just depends...