Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: FB4 Released!

But really? 2 lasers on 1 FB3? How do you set individual bam zones for projectors?
    If 1 projector fails, it takes the second one with it.
    Well, if we need individual BAMs then they get a DAC each, but for the majority of shows with paired projectors left/right, they can share a DAC.
    And why would one projector stop if the other goes down? I think you're perhaps making too many assumptions, certainly with regard to daisy chaining. If you lose 2 projectors when 1 goes down you have only yourself to blame in my opinion.

Ultimately, were money no object, we'd all have 1 DAC per projector - but if that were the case, we wouldn't be debating why people probably won't be dumping their FB3's in their droves to re-kit with FB4's. Some may well do that, but it'll be the big companies, not the small guys like me running 10 projectors or so.

Of course you can use it alongside existing gear.
    Just as an example, you could run an Ethernet LAN TCP based USB extender from the front of house to the stage, then do a split between the usb hub and the FB4's.
    I don't use TCP LAN based extender, so no I can't use it with my existing gear without changing the extender. Or running another cat5 run. The point I'm making is about it not fitting specifically with my infrastructure. YMMV
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Isn't a single cat5 from front of house to a stage box a single point of failure though?
    It is, but its also easily and cheaply mitigated
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Isn't a single cat5 from front of house to a stage box a single point of failure though? A cat 5 to me seems a bit more fragile that ILDA cables.
    Yes and no.. Ilda is analog .. Ethernet digital.. the problems with 0 and 1 are smaller than a voltage drop on long cables.

Besides that, often ethernet cables run parallel to each other.. So you can use more than 1 ethernet cable.
    One of the advantages of ethernet is that you can just ask for a port backstage and in the front of house..
    Permanent locations often have patch racks in place, you can just plug it in their network environment.

While I agree it's MUCH easier than the nightmare of running multiple ILDA cables, many people in the US that I know, tend to keep the FB3's (or .net boxes) at the control station and run individual ILDA cables to each projector. (That's what we do at SELEM.) That's also what I do with all of my shows. Yeah, it's perhaps antiquated but, it works. (Truth be told, I rarely see e-stop boxes in use but, that's letting the cat out of the bag. We know we "should".)
    Also as far as I know an e-stop should be completely analog, so that creates a problem with the ethernet standard.

Of course you could accept slower speed, break out a pair of wires from the ethernet cable for an E-stop, but thats not conform the standard.
    That would not work wireless for example. (Of course you should always try to avoid using wifi!)

Now... I also realize the Europeans are often doing big shows with scads of projectors on stage whereas I don't see that much on this side of the pond. I see the European adoption of the FB4 built into the projector happening a lot faster than in the states. (That's a IMHO opinion though.)
    Well.. its not us Europeans that stop you from using 50 lasers in a show
    Last edited by cyberb0b; 04-27-2015 at 08:28.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by cyberb0b View Post
    (Of course you should always try to avoid using wifi!)
    ABSOLUTELY!

Well.. its not us Europeans that stop you from using 50 lasers in a show
    As many seem to well know..... I'm getting there!