Thread: What is a good 500mw - 1000w RGB laser for getting started?

Laser Warning What is a good 500mw - 1000w RGB laser for getting started?

Hey photolexiconians,

I have been lurking the forums for a couple years toying with the idea of building my own RGB laser.

I've decided that I just want to buy a ready made laser to get started.

Tempted by Chinese lasers, I know thats not the best way to go. Although I like the idea of using an SD card to load animations in and then using DMX to cycle them since it seems that finding an affordable ILDA controller and show control is just as hard as finding a laser.

Any recommendations on a 500mw - 1000w for a show I'm doing on May 7th? Looking to spend less than $700

Been looking at laserworld and xstatic lasers hmmm.

Thank you

James

Hi,

I use KVANT Laser Projectors - but I think this is not your Budget.

You write - you like to load animations? Animations like Comic graphics or just beams? Cheap or noname galvos will not bring your animations without flickering to a wall.

Some projectors have build in NET controllers. In this case it a perfect step in the future but mostly you are forced to use the Software which belongs to the Hardware. Often you see MONCHA.NET...

I guess the 'pro's" here can tell you much more and will have much´more questions to you.
    Alex - no one does it better

Hey,

Those KVANT's are very pretty but definitely out of my budget.

I just want to be able to design different beam patterns, for a techno afterparty

Definitely hoping for 30kpps to start.

Thanks for the response!

James

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by J4MES View Post
    Hey,

Those KVANT's are very pretty but definitely out of my budget.

I just want to be able to design different beam patterns, for a techno afterparty

Definitely hoping for 30kpps to start.

Thanks for the response!

James

that's a tight budget. a decent set of 30k galvos will run you 300-400$. there are, of course, differing definitions "decent".
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Definitely which is kinda why I was going to throw some money at a chinese laser since I can't afford anything too great state side... but I also don't want trouble with the FDA ha.

Yes, 30kpps - without China parts ;-) ... will take the main part of your Budget....
    Alex - no one does it better

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by J4MES View Post
    Definitely which is kinda why I was going to throw some money at a chinese laser since I can't afford anything too great state side... but I also don't want trouble with the FDA ha.
    you are unlikely to find an FDA compliant 1W RGB laser for < 1k$

something like this might be your best bet (20K scanners): http://www.planetdj.com/i--MOBILEBEATMAX

if you plan on driving it with a computer (via the ilda interface) expect to pay another 300-500$ for that hardware and software.

don't forget you'll still need to apply for a variance.

edit:

not awesome beam specs: 1.5-2.5mRad
    and i've always wondered why x-laser lists output power as "Laser Energy 0.6J CW" instead of the more traditional mW or W.

(shrug)
    Last edited by swamidog; 04-17-2015 at 13:00.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Rent one first. In LA you should be able to find a rental, or one of PLs Cali laserists might just help you out.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Know of anyone around LA that might rent a RGB laser for the night $300 or less? Ha..

I have been lurking around the forums since January this year. Lurking for years, I would go nuts

I do not know the price of a Leo, but if you look at the special pricing on the Pluto, it could be in your range.

http://eightonlight.cn/products/Lase.../1114/233.html
    http://eightonlight.cn/products/Laser/Leoseries/

I like the sound of renting a laser.

Personally I just received my first laser ever today, a Kvant Atom 801, which I run with Beyond. The main reason I chose Kvant, even if they are a bit more expensive ahead of LightSpace is that I was not sure of the safety shutter speed of Leo (never asked), and that you don't have the built in beam blocker/masking plate (with prefabricated options, Pangolin scan lens, four way, o et c), and not least the cost of sending the unit back to China in case of RMA or maintanence. But aside from those aspects, I think that the Leo could be a good starter laser on a budget, and very likely close to your price point.