Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs Blanking

Smile Needs Blanking

Need some ideas from y'all brilliant peops about adding analog blanking to a green Dpss that has none. Single AOM (if there is such a thing)? A voicecoil-flag? A single (cheap) galvo/ pinhole? I was even thinking about using the 4th state of matter (plasma) to mod/block the beam but I don't have the technology or resources to experiment that'n--
    Thanks in advance,
    steve-o

Hey Steve-o;

If it's a Lasever DPSS green, you can purchase a replacement driver for it that supports analog modulation. I think they cost around $50-$75... (Assuming were talking about a 100-200 mw unit here.)

An AOM would also work, but would require a bit more effort to set up and align. Then too, you'd loose at least 10% of your power - maybe more. (But you would have *really* fast blanking!)

A flag mounted on a voice coil would work too, but your blanking speed would be pretty slow. If you could afford a third galvo you could use that to blank the beam...

Still, replacing the power supply driver is probably the best (and cheapest) option.

Adam

It's a wicked laser 245mw "pointer". Got really good beam quality though- so it's a keeper plus I already have the mount/ heatsink custom made for it, and got it running off of 3.7V supply. (yes its heavily filtered/regulated w/ soft-start)
    How much would a single AOM and driver cost? I'm bettin' it aint cheep.
    I could live with the 10% loss. After-all, it is green

What kind of control does the laser currently have? ACC? APC? If it is ACC then you can possibly use a die4drive or Norm's laser driver (sold on Ebay). I switched my Aixiz 50mw green from the TTL driver it came with to Norm's analog driver. I like Norm's analog driver because it allows you to set both the min and max current level so that when it is off, it is just barely off so that their are no dead spots where increasing current doesn't do anything. The only problem I have with Norm's kit is that it isn't complete. You have to come up with a power supply, some resistors, and mounting components. But, I haven't seen anything that compares to it in regards to functionality anywhere near the price. Now, if you have APC then everything I said can be ignored and I don't have a suggestion.

Its a "Spyder II". It has an on-off switch. (or used to.) Thats all. The driver board is buried inside and I dont want to tear it apart. Anybody got a single AOM for sale? (I guess I should goto wanted/ buy-sell-trade posts) but I wanted to see if there's such a thing My guess is that if somebody had a 8-ch pcaom they're not going to "part it out"

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Its a "Spyder II". It has an on-off switch. (or used to.) Thats all. The driver board is buried inside and I dont want to tear it apart. Anybody got a single AOM for sale? (I guess I should goto wanted/ buy-sell-trade posts) but I wanted to see if there's such a thing My guess is that if somebody had a 8-ch pcaom they're not going to "part it out"
    If your not willing to take it apart to change the driver board you are better off just buying a new laser with analog blanking. It will be cheaper than trying to do what you are talking about. In fact even if you did take it apart and change the driver you will not have the beem specs as a laser made for shows. Trust me on this I have modded and built lots of green lasers and pointers it is not worth the hassle unless your like me and like to take things apart to see how they work and make them better and spend lots of money only to find out the money you spent and the time you put into it is double the price of a new one.

If you still want an AOM here are some links. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEOS-AOM-ACOUSTO...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Newport-Laser-AO...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Whoa pricey! I also forgot about polarization issues w/ an aom.
    Thanks y-all for the info.
    Astroguy- I LOVE taking things apart (just not things that could be re-sold for quite a bit more than purchased for--so I'm keeping it intact)
    Adam- I just do beamshows so high speed isn't really an issue;
    a 3d galvo's a good idea-I could maybe pick up a 10K for fairly cheap ..
    Carmangary- Thanks for the info.
    Astroguy- What makes this beam inferior for shows? As far as I can tell it's TEM00, (random polarization,) the divergence and spot size at 100 ft is right up there with Marconi's. Is there something I'm missing?
    These lasers have TEC plus it looks like optical feedback too, and they go for $1700usd ea! I dont think it's a just another toy pointer.
    I agree I would do better with a unit that has analog blanking already but I've got this- so instead of parting with 200-300 dollars for another green i'll just go this route for now. Better for the wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Whoa pricey! I also forgot about polarization issues w/ an aom.
    Thanks y-all for the info.
    Astroguy- I LOVE taking things apart (just not things that could be re-sold for quite a bit more than purchased for--so I'm keeping it intact)
    Adam- I just do beamshows so high speed isn't really an issue;
    a 3d galvo's a good idea-I could maybe pick up a 10K for fairly cheap ..
    Carmangary- Thanks for the info.
    Astroguy- What makes this beam inferior for shows? As far as I can tell it's TEM00, (random polarization,) the divergence and spot size at 100 ft is right up there with Marconi's. Is there something I'm missing?
    These lasers have TEC plus it looks like optical feedback too, and they go for $1700usd ea! I dont think it's a just another toy pointer.
    I agree I would do better with a unit that has analog blanking already but I've got this- so instead of parting with 200-300 dollars for another green i'll just go this route for now. Better for the wallet!

I was just worried about the divergence, but if it is as good as you say it will be fine. I have a few lasers from Wicked, in fact Steve from wicked in China has bought a few of the lasers I made as well.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Really? Which model(s)?
    Custom units? Did you build them from ground up -installing the KTP crystal and all that stuff --too hard to do for me.
    Yeah- Steve's a good guy.

Hack into the soft start circuit.