Thread: diode protection

Default diode protection

I am repairing the laser that went on photon strike last week, but i misplaced my lasorb chip in the pinata that i call my living room, but until i find it i am needing advice on what to protect it with i was going to us a 4148 type diodes and i have laying around until i find the lasorb.

Also the one i have is for an ir laser diode, this new application would be used on a 638nm from DTR's site would the same lasorb with ok since they are close in voltages
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Since my first ever A140 builds, I haven't used Lasorbs and the only diode I lost was due to a misconfigured driver which set the Lasorb on fire anyway.

Certainly, the higher power multimode diodes seem to be quite resilient in their own right - the lower power single modes might still get some benefit. YMMV
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

... my three or four wrecked diodes were all clearly overpowered - one of the 2W@1.7A--diodes survived nearly 4 seconds at >3 Amps!

Viktor

Hi Draco,

Which Lasorb was it that you are missing, or better yet, is there a different one you need for your new build? I'd love to get one shipped out to you tomorrow morning free of charge to get your build up and running again! PM me your address and consider it done
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

I like the Lasorb and use it to protect delicate electrical equipment in addition to laser diodes. However, I would wait until the correct Lasorb arrives. In the meantime, go ahead and use the lasers. They probably wont break (stop directly vacuuming out your projector or scuffing your socks across the carpet) in the few days you have to wait. And, even if they did break, then replace the diode while you instal the correct Lasorb.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I misplaced my lasorb chip in the pinata that i call my living room
    HAHA! I can totally relate to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think Brad is starting to suffer from the same problem. You go looking for something you bought a year and a half ago, but you can't remember which box it's stored in. Next thing you know, you're finding shit you bought 3 years ago that you forgot you even had!

Good thing my wife is really tolerant...

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    HAHA! I can totally relate to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think Brad is starting to suffer from the same problem. You go looking for something you bought a year and a half ago, but you can't remember which box it's stored in. Next thing you know, you're finding shit you bought 3 years ago that you forgot you even had!

Good thing my wife is really tolerant...

Adam
    Probably even better thing that I don't have a wife!

Thank you all for the help, i went with a single mode diode and now have it up and running with a lasorb tucked in-between the fan, i lowered the power to 100 mw on this device and find that i am not needing a fan at this power level, i also put arctic silver around the mechanical contact points, I did get one of DTRs 120mw opnext single mode but i am still waiting on the housing from china, i bought DRT's better optics for it, so that will get me 638nm at higher power, my only 638 diode is 3mw and two HeNe at 5 mw
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu