Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 9 - August 12-16th 2015 - Sign up now!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    The invitation is also posted on LPF (not sure if it is yet, there's a distinct delay). And several LPF members have been there for the last two I was.
    It is? I did not post the invite on LPF. I don't normally frequent LPF.

Last year someone from PL cross-posted to LPF about SELEM so they would know about the event. And I'm sure someone will cross-post about it again this year. But that's not something I worry about. (I've got enough on my plate!)

That being said, LPF members are of course welcome to attend SELEM, and indeed several have in the past. But Chris has a point: this is very much a PL event. By that, he does not mean that SELEM is exclusively for PL members. It simply means that the vast majority of attendees are members of PL. (Not to mention the fact that everyone who volunteers to help make the event happen is also a PL veteran.)

True, there have been a couple members from LPF at SELEM over the years, and there are a few more attendees who frequent both forums. But nearly all of the discussion, planning, begging, bitching, pleading, and other nonsense that goes into each SELEM is held right here on PL. So I do agree with Chris when he says that it is a PL event. Does that sound exclusive or elitist? If so, it wasn't meant to be.

As for the name badge issue, I don't have a problem with you putting both names on. However, given that the majority of the people present will know you as SoulFeast (and not Bloompyle), I can see how it could cause confusion. But if you want both names on your tag, so be it. When people ask who "Bloompyle" is, you get to tell them though!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 04-24-2015 at 08:48. Reason: misspelled "Bloompyle"

Quote Originally Posted by SoulFeast View Post
    This is most definitely not specifically a "PL event" or "LPF event". This is both. The invitation is also posted on LPF (not sure if it is yet, there's a distinct delay). And several LPF members have been there for the last two I was.

Laser Enthusiasts Meet, not PL Members Meet

As for why, because LPF is where I reside mostly. 4000+ posts over there.
    Sean,
    This event is totally Adam's baby. He organizes it and runs the show. This is not a LPF event! Everything that happens at SELEM happens because of Adam.
    Over the years it has grown to the point that some might think it is a professionally produced event. This is not the case! Adam did it all for many years, then it grew to the point where several members stepped up to take some of the load off of him. He still takes on too much though.

My point is that this is very much a PL event. Everything is through PL. This is not to say that is may not get reposted somewhere else. Just that the official SELEM thread is here. Other forums can and will repost the thread, but without PL it would never happen.

It just seems like LPF might be trying to take credit for some portion of SELEM and that can upset the people who bust their butts to make SELEM happen.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I didn't piss too many people off.

It came off as you saying this is exclusive to PL, and that I was almost being ostracized.

I see the point you're making though. I'm not trying to take credit for it, or give LPF credit, just came off a bit "off".

Text-to-tone.

And I have no issues explaining it, I had to during my first SELEM, had both names that time.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ... Outside we will probably have several quad-rotor pilots goofing off. There is also a large field across the street from the parking lot that is ideal for flying. (Lazerjock flew his 450 T-rex there last year, and it was great!) If you want to take a break from lasers and play around with some RC gear, there will be several like-minded people there with you!
    Hmm, I wonder if a 700-class nitro machine would be too much for the outdoor site...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if a 700-class nitro machine would be too much for the outdoor site...
    If that's sort of your way of saying you're coming and.... not scaring us with this silly, "I might not make it" noise like you have a couple times before... () we'll FIND a place for the 700 to fly!

In all honesty, I actually discussed it with Adam last year and even looked a bit at some areas between the Holiday Inn and the Walmart. There ARE large areas close by that it could be done. But, I'd think probably not the field at the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    If that's sort of your way of saying you're coming and.... not scaring us with this silly, "I might not make it" noise like you have a couple times before... () we'll FIND a place for the 700 to fly!

In all honesty, I actually discussed it with Adam last year and even looked a bit at some areas between the Holiday Inn and the Walmart. There ARE large areas close by that it could be done. But, I'd think probably not the field at the venue.
    Looking at the schedule now -
    hoping to lock something in within the next couple of weeks!

Semi-kidding on the 700 -
    It's really a bit much for anything other than a dedicated RC flying site (noise / size / bodily damage potential, etc.)
    Might be cool for a static "show n' tell" session...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Sounds like an absolute blast. Wish i could make it to one someday, doubt it will ever happen though...you will just have to have all the fun for me

Smile

I will leave it to you more experienced guys to determine what can and can not be done in the field across the street.

Personally, I would think you could safely hover and fly in a small circle even with a large 700 bird over there. Noise shouldn't be an issue unless we were doing it at night.

But I do agree that if you want to do any acrobatics (or really just get any decent speed going) you'll probably need a larger area. And we would want even more space if there were lots of spectators. So whatever you guys suggest is fine with me.

Not sure if the space by the hotel would work or not. (Chris, was it mowed grass or just an open field?)

Also, I'm pretty sure Ed Keefe has a large collective-pitch bird... Maybe a 700 as well.?. Would be nice to have a couple of those babies in the same room to drool over, even if we have to go somewhere nearby to watch them fly.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
    Sounds like an absolute blast. Wish i could make it to one someday, doubt it will ever happen though...you will just have to have all the fun for me
    What are you thinking is the main hurdle? Most problems can be often overcome. Indiana isn't really that far and there has always been help with rides, room sharing, meals.... where there is a will, there's been a way and, truthfully.... this is a life altering event you owe it to yourself to attempt. There is your wedding day, the birth of your first child and your first SELEM experience and..... not necessarily in that order in terms of significance.

I'm in.

(PL says message is too short).