Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qm2000.net

Interesting discussion so far...

David: Yeah, I realised that the "lease" option would only be useful for designing show content or to offer a "try before you buy" option. As you pointed out, you couldn't run a show with it because the QM-2000 board needs a local connection to the projector. I don't think Pangolin is actually considering any sort of lease option, but the fact that it's possible raises a few questions about what the end user can and can not do with his or her own board. (For example, what if an end user started leasing out access to his board?)

Dwain;
    I think you missunderstood the first part of my post. I didn't say that I couldn't understand why Pangolin created the product. I said I don't think that *I* will ever personally have a need for it.

I understand the advantages of sending signals over ethernet vs a parallel cable. (I've got a degree in computer science, after all!) I was more curious about what limits, if any, Pangolin had placed on the hardware that might prevent a user from connecting to the unit via the Internet.

Yes, VPN would be the way to go for a private setup, though the encryption is probably overkill. (Then again, lots of people already use an old linux box as a home router, which is also overkill given the low cost and flexibility of consumer routers these days...)

Pangolin might actually choose to offer a log-in service via their website to allow registered users to access the PRO editing features for a fee. I sort of doubt that they would ever do this, but I couldn't see anything specific in the design or the specs that would prevent it, so I posed the question to the forum.

I only used the "traveling salesman in his hotel room" example as a colorful, if somewhat lame, way to add some realism to this academic discussion. (Like I said, I don't have a QM-2000 board, and even if I did I wouldn't need the QM-2000.net box. I've got plenty of computers with open PCI slots that would just love to play host to a QM-2000 board!)

Sigh... Maybe when my QM-32 board grows up it will get upgraded...

Adam

Okay. well as far as running LivePRO/QM.net over wireless LAN, it doesn't work well due to the bursty nature of wi-Fi.

you may be able to get in and tweak the wap settings to make it less bursty - i've never done this before though. Thats why 10M wired ethernet works better than 54M wifi. BTW - thats not true 54m anyway, once you add any encryption overheads, plus signal degradation etc.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

What could be really cool (in a possibly lame sort of way) is sending the ethernet data down a modulated laser beam to a PIN photodiode circuit for conversion back to electronic signals, so that one tiny laser is visibly seen to be controlling the main ones.

In fixed installations in very large halls or arenas, this might actually be the best way to go.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    What could be really cool (in a possibly lame sort of way) is sending the ethernet data down a modulated laser beam to a PIN photodiode circuit for conversion back to electronic signals, so that one tiny laser is visibly seen to be controlling the main ones.

In fixed installations in very large halls or arenas, this might actually be the best way to go.
    That is a cool idea...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post

Until a bird or helium balloon from the party (or a set of knickers, depending what type of gig) gets thrown into the beam.

Sorry, but i think fibre would be the best way to go imho, if distances are too long for copper ethernet.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

If you can find someone who can throw a set of knickers with that kind of aim while larging it up at a party, employ them in whatever capacity you can think of. I take your point though.

or of course a more realistic possibility that haze, or fog could interfere with the signal... heh, but personally I like Aijii's theory better.

that is, can I buy OEM and some sort of enclosure, power supply and make a full QM.net 2000?
    so who ever did?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_kld View Post
    that is, can I buy OEM and some sort of enclosure, power supply and make a full QM.net 2000?
    so who ever did?
    Yes, creating your own enclosure with power supply is exactly what the .NET OEM was made for. Technically you could view the 19 inch rack mount .NET box as what you are describing although I think the rack mount came before the .NET laptop box.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Yes, creating your own enclosure with power supply is exactly what the .NET OEM was made for. Technically you could view the 19 inch rack mount .NET box as what you are describing although I think the rack mount came before the .NET laptop box.

Thank you for your reply.
    I see two options:
    1) the case with OEM QM.NET + power supply together
    2) building with only OEM QM.NET, power supply separately

have to know the exact size of the board, someone has drawings?