Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a volumetric dispay?

Default Building a volumetric dispay?

EDIT: This thread had derailed from all the confusion. What logsquared had was something else and VDX I think was talking about making a DLP 3d printer.

To sum it up and save the reader time my post was about building a volumetric display, such as these:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US6183088
    http://www.google.com/patents/US7898708

For than I needed fast, several thousand Hz refresh rates and frame rates.

After weeks of research I concluded that the only options are the TI Lightcrafter dev boards and the TI Discovery. These are all rather expensive for a hobby project.

Another option is buying chipsets from TI and building your own boards and light engines by using an FPGA on the board and doing some FPGA programming. That was beyond me so I excluded this as an option, but if you think you can do it, there is enough documentation and reference on Texas instruments website.
    Keep in mind that the patents will prevent you from using your projects for anything which generates profit.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by vesel; 06-03-2015 at 03:46.

I have just the thing you are looking for. The encoder on the motor is damaged and needs replaced.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turret.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	46972
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turret2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	46973

whatever ...
    Last edited by vesel; 06-02-2015 at 07:04.

I looked at your animation and thought "I have one of those". This piece of hardware was originally used for laser range finding. I'm not sure how you would accomplish the projection part. My first thought would be to project "line by line" in stead of 288 images per rotation. I would think the image would "smear" if you projected the image while the head is moving.

whatever ...
    Last edited by vesel; 06-02-2015 at 07:04.

... I think, your video-link is similar to the Felix-3D-display -- http://felix3d.com/web/index.php?show=Applications

I've thought around the basic concept some ten years ago and found it then to complex for the then available hardware+laser ... and is pretty complex and hard to build until today too.

In the mean time I've built some 3D-displays with Stereo-shutters or lenticular sheets - and developed some different concepts for 3D-displays and "live-holography" based of solid displays, fiberoptics or plenoptical flat-screens, but this is interesting enough to eventually start a paid development around, so not meant to disclosure the basic principles in forums, sorry ...

Viktor

Honestly, I didn't look at all the vids you linked.
    I was thinking how cool would it be if I could have my realtime 3d scenes displayed inside of or at least on a crystal ball or snow globe-esque sphere
    I didn't realize you were going for real volumetric. I guess I thought you wanted to project on the surface of a sphere from the inside.

Super high speed projector?

Controlling the motor... you need some kind of encoder to tell the software where the head is at anytime. You could either adjust the projection rate to match the motor rotation or control the RPM to match the video rate.

The mechanics are easy. 6000FPS, good luck with that.

whatever ...
    Last edited by vesel; 06-02-2015 at 07:02.

whatever ...

whatever ...