Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy amps suitable for 506s?

Default Where to buy amps suitable for 506s?

Greetings, all;

Pango tells me it will be aeons before we see complete sets of 506s, and refers me to their excellent guide on how to modify other amps to work with the 506s.

But I don't want to modify any of my existing amps, as they are all busy feeding DT40s, etc.

Does anyone know where you can buy just a couple of DT40 amps, for example, without the galvos, for modification? The elusive red boards? Where? If I get the amps, I can do the modification, although it would be nice to get whatever works with the least amount of fiddlement.

Anyone make the new cables for these?

mixed gas used to modify these, but I don't know if he still does.
    If you're out there, Sir Gas, please reply to my pm - thanks.

Anybody else have a suggestion?

Much thanks...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

I think some people make and sell complete sets. Already modified. That is what I would do..

That's what I would like to do too; anybody? Mixedgas?

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

I heard Kvant makes them…

The DT40 amps are also used on the DT30's, which can be had for $250 from Goldenstar.
    That's about the cheapest you'll pick up a set of DT40 amps (says the man with 7 sets of unused DT30 galvos and mounting blocks in the drawer....)

Steve Mixedgas can probably supply you the cables.

But yes, try Kvant for an off the shelf solution - they're certainly fitting a lot to their own projectors and I heard someone had a set of 506's with amps from them recently (through the grapevine, non-confirmed, etc, etc)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post

Pango tells me it will be aeons before we see complete sets of 506s, and refers me to their excellent guide on how to modify other amps to work with the 506s.
    Have you checked recently? At FLEM, there was speculation by Pangolin that we could be there by SELEM which is in August; utilizing the Mach Mini amp.

Timetables and Pangolin do not belong in the same sentence together, I realize and respect that but, I do think it's actually closer than... aeons. At least I sure as hell hope so. (Although I'd dreading placing that first order... ka-ching!)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Clickamouse, I have something I can do for you, if you have electronics skills. I will respond to your PM in a day. I have 300$ worth of boards for a new generation amp, but modding it is very time consuming for a home production basis.

If amp production is to resume, I would need commitments for 50-100 pairs to have a board run done with the correct components and the cables made in China.
    I'd estimate 5% of those boards would be rejects and 20% of the hand produced cables. So I'd have to order say 60 pairs of boards and 100 pairs of cables. I made a machine to test the cables, QC is required.

Boards actually cost me about 45$ each and 6$ per shipping per board unmodded. To make a profit selling raw boards, I'd have to double that cost. However there is a 15% reject rate from component tolerances.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-01-2015 at 07:06.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi Bradford;

I need these for a July show and Pango has assured me they won't be ready by then.
    My options are going with Steve's amps or trying to work a deal with Kvant, which I am doubtful will succeed.
    For the moment, I am following up with Steve.

Thanks...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

I was in the same position as you, I needed 2 sets of 506's for July.
    After speaking with Justin i decided to go for some PT-A40's as a stop gap until the full 506 sets are ready.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I already have 2 PT40s and a DT40 running; I am hoping the 506s will fix some problems with distortion, etc., I am seeing after our last re-tuning.
    I would also like to think I'll be getting a little less flicker as a result, although I'm running QuickShow with its 30K limit. There was a rumor that Pango would release a version of QS that would scan faster - Justin sez that's not happening at the moment. Switching to LD2000 or Beyond is beyond my budget at the moment.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers