Thread: Scan block position?

Default Scan block position?

Hi!

Just playing with 2 laser-wave 1inch x 1inch mirror mounts and PT-40 Scan Block.
    I would to position dichro mounts like the pic attached, in order to easily access from outside to re-adjust R-B overlap if necessary.
    However, following this config, scan block should be positioned far inside projector. This is exactly at 39mm from output scan mirror to baseplate edge (out galvo mirror is 36mm height)

I could go with flexmounts in order to bring scanblock near baseplate edge, but I prefer LW here, the idea is everybody could easily adjust RGB overlap, so no allen keys...no push-pull...just fingers you know

Usually I put scanner block near baseplate edge, but on this setup, it is placed much more inside baseplate...so Could I have 'masking' out beam scan problems at very high angles (with DT wide for example)??
    and what about if I need to attach pango disco-scan lens?? is scanblock placed too inside projector?

Many thanks!!
    Jordi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	position block.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	584.1 KB 
ID:	46964

Name:	scan angle.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	46965

This is the reason why I have my laser modules exiting to the side of the case where the dichro mounts are, and then a steering mirror to bring the combined beam onto the scanners.
    You also don't need to worry about shimming anything to get the correct height.

That said, the wide angle scanning is likely to be left/right rather than up/down, particularly where you might not want to be putting a beam into the crowd.

This is why they sell dichro mounts with holes in them though, so you mount them at 45 degrees and the beam passes through the middle.

Applying a little lateral thinking, you could turn the mounts around 180 degrees so the adjusters are inboard, then let the beam pass past the side of them, to an overhanging piece to hold the mirror/prism/dichro. You won't be able to adjust from the outside them, but I have never had any issues with popping the lid off to do that bit anyway.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default Layout suggestion

Hi, maybe have the dichro mounts along the side of the unit and use a fixed bounce mirror to get the combined beam closer to the front of the case?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	46966

there ya go then, 2 people can't be wrong..
    Frikkin Lasers

Thanks Norty, Mickey,
    I would avoid dichros on side w bouncing mirrors because handle is attached there, so on that case, removing handle is necessary to access to dichro adjust

Name:	handle.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	46970
    Also, r-g-b modules have adjustable beam position output (2 bouncing mirrors), so matching scanner-height is done on each dichro on this setup, just adjusting the module beam position.

Name:	bounce.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	46971
    I'd like to adjust dichros with PJ in place if possible.
    So, as Norty pointed one option could be rotating mounts 180º or 90º (kvant style) like this:

Name:	dichros.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	46969
    Yes, popping lid off is necessary on this setup.... other option is bypass laser-wave mounts and go with flexmounts, with a little lid covering flexmounts for adjusting...but not everybody is capable of tunning flexmounts...grrrrr., I think flexs are less stable than LW...
    so, what is your opinion? Does LW mounts worth it vs flexmount? sorry, a bit confused today
    thanks!!
    Last edited by jors; 04-29-2015 at 02:23.

Although the double mirrors is a good idea for beam height, you are using too many.

Assuming all your modules are roughly the same height, the module furthest from the scanners can be a fixed height. Get this hitting the scanners then you just need to adjust the other 2 to intersect it.
    If you use a steering mirror, you can get away with having only the nearest module with height adjust.

I can't link the pic directly here but have a look at my FB page http:www.facebook.com/SubsonicSystems and look for the thread about re-aligning my 8W RGB's. These have a steering mirror, 2x fixed height beams (red and blue) and a height adjuster on the green.

I'm not sure why you would need to remove the handle if you had the mounts along the side, removing the lid should give you enough space to adjust (or rather, you make sure there is enough space to adjust!)

I have a mixture of flexmounts and LW mounts. If I can make the space, I go for the LW mounts for primary optics. Steering mirrors still go on micro/flexmounts
    Frikkin Lasers

Ooh awesome work on your Fb page! really great!
    Ok, I'll try to follow your tips
    Many thanks for your help

rotate the mirror mounts so adjustments are accessible from the top...

Name:	above.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	46991
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso