Thread: laser diode drivers

Default laser diode drivers

quick question,
    for laser diode drivers that are constant current, is there a difference between the ones used for red diodes vs ones for blue and 405nm, I know the voltage is different but with CC does that matter?

my back up driver exploded and i am not sure what to replace it with on a tight budget. I had used it for different diodes over the last few years, that and i don't remember where i got it from
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Some red diode drivers can't handle the higher forward voltage drop of the blues and greens. (Example: The new 520 nm greens need nearly 8 volts across them.) If your red driver is only designed to run on a 5 volt supply, then it won't be able to run a 445 nm blue.

If it runs off a 12 volt supply and can handle the higher current, then it should work.

Adam

... my own drivers runs with 12V, so no difference ... and actually I'm testing an 'industry' driver with 24V - so even more voltage, if needed.

But one of my scavanged 652nm-modules needs >160Volts to run!! ... it was used in a medical device for intravascular treatment and emits up to 20 Watts out of 60 combined 400mW-diodes, which are hooked up serial ...

Viktor

Thank you for the info, That confirms what i thought, one of these days i will have 420 green, i just wish they where not as pricy.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu