Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Cardbaord

Default Google Cardbaord

So I go a new cell phone recently, a Samsung Galaxy S5 and soon came across the Google Cardboard VR goggles. After doing some reading I decided to take the dive and spend $13 on a molded plastic version called the Illusion Mask. This is the coolest thing I've ever bought for under $20.

For those who don't know Google Cardboard is a box you slide your phone into. Inside there are a couple optics to help focus on the screen. The apps you download are designed with this in mind and split the screen into two separate images. This allows them to be in 3D. The apps also use the phone's accelerometers & gyro's to track your head movement. The final ingenious trick is the use of 2 magnets to disrupt the phones built in compass and act as a switch when the magnet is moved.

The goggles I bought didn't come with the magnets so I added my own. I also added more padding around the edges to push it further away from my nose & rubber bands to hold the phone in place. The goggles use suction cups to hold the phone in place and my phone has a textured back so they wont stick. I didn't trust them anyway. I may 3D print something better in the future but for now the low tech rubber bands work great.

Anyone interested in this type of technology I highly recommend giving it a try! Most of the apps are free too.
    Sorry I would have shown it with the phone in the goggles but I was using the phone to take the pics.

Chris
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150505_112411.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	47014

Name:	20150505_112427.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	47015

Name:	20150505_112500.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	47016

Name:	20150505_112529.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	47017

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    This is the coolest thing I've ever bought for under $20.
    Sigh.... here we go again.

(Rationalizes..... "I need a new phone anyway". )

You know I do this on purpose......Right?

What kind of apps are there?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    What kind of apps are there?
    I've had a version of the google cardboard for months...First came out in November 2014...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been buying and sending to relatives as gifts.
    If you have a smartphone...this is a Must Have!

Best viewed in a swivel chair...so you can look around 360degrees (you never know what's behind you)

The best website for apps I've found: http://www.vrapplist.de/

Caution! Take care to hold sides of viewer so camera can't slip out when you are swiveling your head sideways...friend cracked my Galaxy S4 screen that way.

Get a viewer with the slot for camera...cause there are Some apps which can use your camera to augment reality or create your own virtual world in a viewable sphere...and then Share your sphere with others!
    Some Great apps which really show what this can do:

Cmoar Roller Coaster VR
    Dive Wings or Wings 2
    The Hobbit
    Battle 360 VR
    the list goes on...

TaoVisor lets you select several apps to start from one program.

Tons of Free or real cheap apps out there...
    I've only paid for one app and I have about 50 on my phone (had to get a 32 gig microSD card)
    I paid for Go Show to view videos easily...And it can hook up to my youtube and see stuff I set to watch later when I was on laptop.

So...(Brad)...you prob already have the phone...
    under $20 for viewer
    under $20 for bigger card
    maybe an app or two you might pay for (and they are Cheap!)

Biggest bang for buck in a Long time... Grew out of Google 20% program...where they can use 20% of time to work on pet projects.

And will preclude you having to wait for and buy Oculus Rift VR Headset when they come out...

Any questions about these...just ask...and I'll try help...I Love the VR world
    Next...I need to get working with my Leap Motion (wave your hands and controll computer device) and Really immerse myself!
    Last edited by rodman1369; 05-05-2015 at 19:20. Reason: spelling

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have a crap iPhone 4 but, I'm supposed to have a 5c on the way. Work provides it free so I can't complain too much but, I'd really like something more like the Samsung's. But... for $20-$40..... It sounds like this is worth checking out.

There aren't a lot of app for the I-phone, but there are some.

Hey Chris: Wonder if you could use this with your FPV racing quad.?.

Sure, you'd still need the receiver and the transmitter, but the pricey bits are the goggles themselves, right?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey Chris: Wonder if you could use this with your FPV racing quad.?.

Sure, you'd still need the receiver and the transmitter, but the pricey bits are the goggles themselves, right?

Adam
    I knew you would go there.
    I looked into this already. One guy is using 2 phones and linking them via Wi-Fi. As you can imagine the range is very limited. I also read another problem is the video lag. It's pretty bad when you process live video. Heck you can see it when using your camera to take pictures. When flying through the woods at crazy speeds the last thing you want is video delay. The other thing I never got to is how to get the video signal from the receiver into the phone.

Chris