Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If your name isn't in blue below....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default If your name isn't in blue below....

Hey all,

Recently while we were in Utilia, the discussion came up that there has been no mention of the donation system here on the forum for some time. While some of you may think that's a good thing, there are a number of new people to the forum who may not even know about it.

Photonlexicon is a tremendous resource and I'm sure we've all gained a great deal from it at one point or another. While it IS free... there are still fees involved with "keeping the lights on" and that financial responsibility falls on one often unsung hero. Whether you know him as "Spec", "Admin", our illustrious Janitor.... fact is, there is SOMEBODY that has to pay the bills to keep this going. Hosting fee's, vBulletin updates, maybe needing to replace a computer part, keeping the backups going so nothing is lost, and so forth.

It is encouraged, if it's within your means, to make a donation in some way shape or form. Some people just make an occasional donation when they've got a few extra pennies to spare or, for example, maybe they've been helped by something and happen to feel a bit philanthropic because it's "the right thing to do". Some of us just simply arrange a monthly Paypal debit and, the encouraged amount is $10. That's what I do and that's what a few others do. I don't even miss it coming out of the account. It's pretty painless. That's how you get your name in blue at the bottom of the page and in all your posts. Just sort of a "recognition" as being a "trustee" of sorts for this great resource.

Some people who sell items in the buy/sell thread often donate 10% of the items sale price to PL but sometimes it's not mentioned in the thread. It's encouraged and again, it's a worthwhile, admirable thing to do. (Yeah... that includes commercial sellers - ya'll should be doing it as well.)

The leftovers from events like SELEM, if there are any, are also customarily donated towards keeping this amazing site running.

So... long story short, if you haven't seen or been made aware of it, throwing the cost of a couple beers (or lattes) towards keeping this forum alive and running is, I know, always greatly appreciated. Think about it!

Thanks for bringing this up, Brad. I've been a proud contributing member for several years now. This site provides me with great amounts of knowledge, entertainment (you guys can be quite funny . . sometimes unintentionally ), and saves me much more than the $120/year it costs for the blue button.

Aren't there some administrative/posting benefits as well? e.g. I think you can only delete a post if you are a blue member. Sometimes we all say something we wish we hadn't and this is one side-benefit for those late-night alcohol-infused rants. :0

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

......could you please tell us the link to donate ?

I believe somewhere at the top of the screen where it says things like "Forum Home" "New Posts" "Community" and things like that, it's around there somewhere. I don't "see" the donate button because I already do and have for years so, regrettably I can't tell you exactly where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Aren't there some administrative/posting benefits as well? e.g. I think you can only delete a post if you are a blue member. Sometimes we all say something we wish we hadn't and this is one side-benefit for those late-night alcohol-infused rants. :0
    I know you get an increased storage limit for PM's. You may be able to delete a post, I'm not certain. There is another area called Benefactors Lounge that only we (that donate on a recurring monthly basis) can see however, it rarely receives any traffic. For example, there have been about two posts in over a year's time.

I believe you can send funds to admin@photonlexicon.com via pay pal. I need to do so it has been awhile. I generally send it straight to sir Spec.

This is the way to donate while not subscribing... Which I should do.
    Last edited by sugeek; 05-07-2015 at 20:51.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kl79 View Post
    ......could you please tell us the link to donate ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I believe somewhere at the top of the screen where it says things like "Forum Home" "New Posts" "Community" and things like that, it's around there somewhere. I don't "see" the donate button because I already do and have for years so, regrettably I can't tell you exactly where it is.
    It's really simple. First you need to be logged in (obviously).

Now, look at the top left of the page. See where it says "Notifications" "Settings" and "Logout"? Click on "Settings".

This brings up all your personal preferences for the forum. On the left side of the page you should see the "My Settings" box. Scroll down until you see the link for "Paid Subscriptions". Click that link.

You will be taken to the donation sign-up page. There are two options, "Personal Benefactor", for $10 per month, and "Corporate Benefactor" for $100 per month. Select which one you want and follow the instructions. It will set up a recurring monthly donation from your Paypal account.

Easy!

Adam

PS: If you would prefer a one-time donation, you can send the funds to admin@photonlexicon.com via Paypal.

I'm feeling so blue this morning.

Yeah, thanks for the foam clue by four, didn't even know.

Hi,

i am not very active here but send a Little Donation by Paypal.
    By the way...when in Germany someone ask you if you "Are you Blue ?" it means he think you are drunken :-)
    Greetings
    Guido

www.mylaserpage.de

Guido, that's cool! I love to hear about colloquialisms such as this.

I find it fascinating how languages evolve and how certain phrases that mean one thing somewhere mean something entirely different somewhere else. My favorite of the bunch being:

"Let's table this topic."

If I'm not mistaken, this means to immediately address the topic if you're from the UK (someone verify I'm not smoking crack here)
    and in the US it means to set aside the topic and discuss it later.

Pissed (US): Angry, upset
    Pissed (UK): drunk!

Language is a virus