Thread: New Projector Build

Default New Projector Build

Hey Guys,

The past two weeks I have been building a beam projector. Things have been going well and I got the projector operational today. Thanks to dkumpula for stopping by today to show me how to use a cylindrical pair to correct my red. I am running Oclaro 638 700mw red, M140 445 blue, osram 120mw green (may upgrade this to the NDG700). I have Compact 506 scanner with Steve's drivers. For diode drivers I am using Dave's dual driver and a Simpledrive I. So far I like both of these drivers better than the flexmod but time will tell. Running LSX for the front end. I hope to have the rest of the case constructed by the end of this week and have a final product by the end of the month. Figured I would share some projection pics today. I will post the projector pics when the projector is completed. Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3041.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	47100

Name:	IMG_3048.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	47101

Name:	IMG_3045.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	47102

Salty
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

That's very quick work for your first build, Salty. Folks will appreciate the projector pics when you post them as your layout worked out very well. My first build had an optics deck that looked like swiss cheese and was a royal pain to adjust! Keep up the great work!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Last night I got the rest of the case built on my projector. I also upgraded the green to 700mw. Overall this projector came along nicely and now I'm ready to build another one. Curse this hobby. LOL

Name:	IMG_3080.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	47231

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	47232

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	47233

Name:	IMG_3076.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	414.0 KB 
ID:	47234

Name:	IMG_3077.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	47235

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Very nice. I SO wish I had more time to be able to do stuff like this. I've got boatloads of parts and tools but, no decent place to work and even less of that cursed "time" word.
    PM Sent...

Thanks. I wish I had your pile of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Very nice. I SO wish I had more time to be able to do stuff like this. I've got boatloads of parts and tools but, no decent place to work and even less of that cursed "time" word.

did you double bounce in order to make nearfield alignment easier?

Yes I was able to align this projector in a few minutes because of the double bounce. My other projector with no double bounce took hours and still could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    did you double bounce in order to make nearfield alignment easier?

Sweet. I like the 80/20 (or Maytec?) extruded aluminum construction and din rail mounted industrial control panel components such as your Delta power supplies and terminal blocks. No doubt you have an automation and/or controls background....yes ?
    How are those 506's with modded amps working out for you, can project a nice crisp ILDA test pattern at around 12 degrees or better?
    .... I'm really trying to get to SELEM so I can meet some like minded people.....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Sweet. I like the 80/20 (or Maytec?) extruded aluminum construction and din rail mounted industrial control panel components such as your Delta power supplies and terminal blocks. No doubt you have an automation and/or controls background....yes ?
    Yes I work for Northrop Grumman Synoptics programming PLC stations to grow laser crystals. DIN rail and terminal blocks makes building a projector so easy. It takes a little more room but to me its worth the trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    How are those 506's with modded amps working out for you, can project a nice crisp ILDA test pattern at around 12 degrees or better?
    I have Steve's (mixedgas) Red Board Amps so they are not a modded Amp. I am working through some tuning issues on them so right now graphics don't look that great but the beams look fine. This is a beam projector so I haven't really worried about it too much. I have been working with Steve on how to correct the issue I am seeing but as of right now it is not fixed. From my understanding these were tuned for 3mm mirrors and I have 4mm mirrors. Here is a picture of the issue.

Name:	IMG_3070.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	47254
    Last edited by SaltyRobot; 06-04-2015 at 12:31. Reason: wrong picture

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I SO wish I had more time to be able to do stuff like this. I've got boatloads of parts and tools but, no decent place to work and even less of that cursed "time" word.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    I wish I had your pile of parts.
    Sounds like the two of you should get together on this. Jason has the time and the ability, and Brad has the parts. Maybe a trade of sorts? Parts for labor, with Jason getting some of the stuff he needs for another build while Brad gets a new projector built... Sounds like win-win to me anyway!

Adam