Thread: Alignment new laser projector from China.

Question Alignment new laser projector from China.

Hi all,

I received this laser projector from China and I know "You get what you pay for".
    The dichros are very bad aligned. I included some pictures. This is my first RGB projector and
    I have never aligned one before. As you can see the dichros are glued to the bottom plate.
    I also noticed that the blue module is not aligned with the other laser modules.

Any tips? how am I supposed to do this? do i need to remove the glue from the dichros?
    Do i need to re-align the blue lasermodule itself? As you can see the beam should be a white beam,
    but it is clearly not.

The scanners are 25Kpps and suck major ass, but thats another story. Gonna replace those in time.

Please help me out so I can at least get a decent beam.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0589.JPG  

IMG_0594.JPG  

IMG_0593.JPG  

IMG_0595.JPG  

IMG_0596.JPG  

IMG_0597.JPG  

IMG_0599.JPG  

IMG_0602.JPG  

IMG_0606.JPG  

IMG_0608.JPG  

IMG_0605.JPG  

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I read about your dilemma in the other thread and I still think with the number of people in the Netherlands, that someone will help you once they happen to see it but, in the interim, from what I see in the pictures, the problem is the blue diode's position itself, not the dichro. It's what's called your near field alignment. The three spots created by the green, red and blue lasers should exactly overlap themselves on the face of the dichro. Moving the dichro itself is not going to solve the situation. I think the body of the blue module itself, physically needs to be moved a mm or two towards the scanners. It looks like some type of perhaps double sided tape or something is holding them in place (or it's something thermal and there are screws under the baseplate holding them in position from underneath but, some how, some way, you need to pry it a little and just get it moved so the beam hits the dichro right where the red and green are coming through it.

Sadly, it's just a quality control issue on a (relatively) cheap Chinese laser. I doubt it happened in shipping or anything. It was probably off a little right from the factory.

Thanks Brad. The blue lasermodule itself is positioned on some strange kind of stuff. The "tape" is not sticky. And there are no screws under the lasermodule. So what the "tape" is....i don't know. Also the blue lasermodule is not flush with the other modules.

As you can see in the image i included. Can that be the problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23.jpg  

First: Cred for GOOD pictures of laser and beams. It`s really difficult getting good pictures of lasers.You really want to get rid of all that glue. You might get the beams aligned, but sooner or later, you have to do this again. I understand that the projector need to as rugged as possible to survive the bumpy ride from China and to wherever in the world. But when in the hands of the new owner, i an shure the equipment are handled with care. As you can see, regardless of any amount of glue, the shipment can bring whatever out of alignment.

I did need to knock out (chizzle) away the glue from my first box. When trying to heat the glue, it did not melt, but startet smelling, and the fumes were really nasty. Using a dremel with a diamond tip removed the last bit. (Covering all optics first)

As you point out, the blue module is not aligned with the other modules. This might not affect the actual result, as these diodehousings are quite rough. Assebeling a number of these, have learned me that the beampath can differ some 3-4 deg from center. This is not "german chraftmanship".

I am quite shure that the modules are not fastened with double sided tape, but M3 screws from the underside of the baseplate. The strips on the underside of the modules are for isolation. The baseplate are fastened to the bottomplate of the projector.

As for divergence, a also had to finetune the lenses in the red and the blue module to get the best result possable. This needs to be done PROIR to the alignment, as fiddeling with the lenses will screw up all alignment.

If you want to do yourself a big favour, get yourself new 3D holders for dichros. There are several out there. Cheap ones and labstyle ones. You get what you pay for, but all 3D holders are better than the ones glued into your Projector. You event might reuse the dichros in your holders if you are able to get them out of the holders.

Realizing you have a problem with fine motorics muscle movements, the 3D holders from Goldenstar might be an alternative, as the handles of the screws are quite big. I seem to remember dicent pricetag.http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/laser...al9htgj6gdh2p6

Please take the size into consideration before ordering. You need more space inside the projector to install bigger dichro holders.

Good luck in the progress modefying.

Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Thanks All of you for your responses. I fixed the alignment of the blue beam, i took some pliers and just adjusted the cheap dichro holder and it is working perfectly.
    Indeed the read is a fat beam and also the blue. Making everything a bit thick. Can that be adjusted? Is there a guide to do that somewhere?

Cheers.

Getting a better and tighter red and blue beam is one of the major issues for projectors. Powerfull Red is more or less the holy grail for serious laserists. Powerful diodes of 500mw or more have been proven hard to tame. There are optical cylindrical lenses that can be used to correct the beam, togheter with a spatial filter you will be able to narrow the beam down closer to the 3 mm most 532nm green modules produce. The difficult part is to get all 3modules have the same divergence.

Cheap China lasers have non of the above. Midrange have some correction, and the good expensive stuff should be proven to have all of the above.

It took me a while to realise the importance of this, and stuff begin to cost some serious dough. I was warned when entering PL, but have no regrets what so ever.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!