Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    On the devils advocate note, this thing is so much more capable than the other ILDA splitter devices out there, including the showtacle one that won the ILDA Fenning award ( they had 5 pin ins and outs for DMX). I bet that this one could easily get an ILDA tech achievement award too, as it is way more capable where it really counts,.
    Not trying to take the piss here, but this seems really really similar to the Showtacle one?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I normally have multiple universes stageside and multiple buffered outputs per universe, so the thru is not a problem, but I can see it being for smaller setups where just the laserist wants it to run variations on different heads.
    My use case is going to be more for handing over colour control to the LD, for consistent looks, so there'll be lots of DMX infrastructure anyway.
    My personal view is that NOT having a thru because a DMX chain MIGHT be bad is fixing the wrong thing.
    I have no preference over 3P or 5P DMX, both will require an adaptor in different circumstances. I think in the UK/EU the 3P probably aren't as well disliked by the 'pros' as in the US based on the responses here.

One query, it looks like the software can be quite configurable, will there be a way for end users to update firmware as early revisions/tweaks are made after delivery? Sorry if I missed that in what's already been written.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:41. Reason: hit submit a minute too soon

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    NICE! So much win. I am curious why that video is not posted to the Eye-melty thread! Two Z-5s.... not so easy for those of us who AREN'T Brad!
    I didn't post it there since it really isn't all that great of a video. I should have shot the video with my camera instead of my phone. Oh well!

I guess my only question is any idea about pricing yet?
    Thinking about ways around this, as trim pots are also a little less robust, could the pots be "locked" or made unchangeable in software?
    I think we are pretty set on price at the moment. We will make a post around June 1st with information on ordering. We are ironing out the last few details.

There currently is no way for the software to take control of the potentiometers. That would require a significant change to the product.

Just throwing out ideas. Maybe there would be a way to lock the pots by using a password on the front panel interface. Basically in code say ignore the analog inputs that the pots are connected to until the correct 4 digit password is entered. Once the password is entered the analog inputs are re-enabled and changes can be made. Once done with the changes re-enter the password to lockout the analog inputs again. Just trying to think of software changes rather than hardware changes to do the same thing. Arrow keys can be used to change the numbers so no 10 key pad is needed.
    '

There certainly are ways of doing this but as it stands the Router does not have a way to disable the pots thru software. They can be 'disabled' thru a hardware change but I felt that there should be a way to manipulate size and position regardless of software. Which is particularly helpful in the basic splitter mode.

Not trying to take the piss here, but this seems really really similar to the Showtacle one?
    We showed a very early version of the Router at SELEM last year and someone mentioned there being a similar device on the market. When I returned home I did some research and came across the LaserMatrix. I was shocked, you really can't come up with an original idea anymore! Oh well, we decided to continue working on the Router anyway. It appears that we are doing things with the Router that they aren't doing with that device, so there are quite a few unique features. I also remember finding some other type of splitter device that was also very similar. I just did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything at the moment but there is something else out there.

Norty, the Router's firmware can be updated in the field. The problem is that it wouldn't be an easy task and would require opening the Router and attaching a device to the Router to update the firmware. This would be a device that would be mailed to an end user.

Laser Wizardry, regarding the keyswitch and e-stop. I'm not sure I understand why this device would have these features? I view the Router or any other ILDA splitter as an extension of a DAC. That said, if the interlock loop between the Router and DAC becomes interrupted all output channels will have their isolated interlock loops open. So to a projector, unplugging the Router from a DAC is the same as unplugging your projector from a DAC.

We appreciate all comments and complaints! Ultimately, you can't please everyone! We've tried to make the Router as flexible as possible and hope that folks find it to be a very useful tool.
    Last edited by DZ; 05-27-2015 at 06:45.

Can I just clarify on the interlock part please?

My projectors run 5V on the ILDA interlock pins, which are connected to relay contacts at the stage box. If I hit the estop, it opens the relay and projectors go off.

Are you saying that if the splitter detects the interlock from DAC is incomplete it stops the output?
    Are pins 4/17 on each output simply tied, or do they also go open in the event it detects the input interlock open?

It just makes me too uncomfortable having a device that can influence my image size of multiple projectors without a way to lock it out/ kill it instantly.
    I think this is where your regular estop comes into play, although I think less accessible controls would fix a lot of the issues.
    I personally can't see the point in either a keyswitch or estop on the unit as it will be on the stage and I'll be 50m+ away at front of house, so pointless in that regard.
    My stage box has the option of having an estop connected locally as well as the remote one, so there is still the facility for a panic button for the stage manager or someone.

I agree with David, this is really just an extension of the DAC, so shouldn't need to do anything other than ensure any functions between DAC and projector are maintained, rather than duplicated.
    Frikkin Lasers

Hello,

Regarding the interlocks and the router...

All 6 outputs, and both ILDA thrus, have a relay across pins 4 and 17. Each output has its own independent relay.

When the router is in Basic Splitter, Advanced Splitter or Single Input Router mode, the microcontroller is monitoring ILDA input A. When the interlock is good, the relay on each of the 8 outputs close. In the event that the A input interlock is not satisfied, the relays open breaking the interlocks on all outputs.

When in Dual Input Router mode, both input A and B are monitored. If either input A or B has a bad interlock, the router opens all the relays, regardless of where that output is mapped.

Both ILDA inputs are optically isolated and short circuit protected.

ED

^^^ Thank you, very clear and just the ticket!
    Frikkin Lasers

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:41.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Edit - (I typed this while other replies were happening above.)

I agree.... I haven't seen an e-stop on any different brand of splitter - X-Laser X-Split, Laserworld (although theirs had a keyswitch), Showtacle's Fiesta.net, etc.

While Karl I thought was a little harsh (or at least his LD friends were - and we KNOW how they can be! ), I do think some of the input/suggestions from the pro world is valuable since I really hope for their sake, this thing also takes off in the "pro" world and makes Ed and DZ a bucket load of money eventually. I know they've worked hard to make this affordable to the regular guy at roughly $1500. (Which is still a steal.)

What I could see, and might suggest based on these comments, is that development start being considered on a "Revision 2" or "pro" model that could perhaps integrate these suggestions and be priced accordingly. Based on prices like what Doug Fleenor charges and what the "pro's" pay for gear and lighting (and lasers for that matter)... developing a $7,000 "pro grade" router is probably worth considering since that kind of money is a drop in the bucket for "pros". Hell... when you look at the cost of the lights and gear that goes into a professional tour - with shit tons of B-Eyes, Mythos, Viper Air FX, BMFL's, Molefays, multiple media servers, $80,000 desks, and all the other stuff... the router is spare change.

I guess the key thing here is how big the shows are that you're doing.

Oh, and which side of the Atlantic you are

I know they've worked hard to make this affordable to the regular guy at roughly $1500. (Which is still a steal.)
    I hadn't seen they'd released a price yet. Or have you just let the cat out of the bag...?
    Frikkin Lasers