Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I hadn't seen they'd released a price yet. Or have you just let the cat out of the bag...?
    I only quoted what was in the video from FLEM a couple months ago. I know they were trying to figure out if there was a way to get it down a little more because the case itself was kind of pricey and they were still exploring other sources but, I don't know anything official. I tried to pay DZ several weeks ago and he wanted me to hold off a bit so, no, I know nothing "official".

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Oh, and which side of the Atlantic you are
    VAT nothwithstanding, it should technically be even more affordable for you since the pound versus the dollar is better, correct?

That comment was more in relation to the safety and variance aspects, rather than the price, which is why I put it before the price bit

But on price, it looks like the euro and pound are working quite well for us at the moment too
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    @luxilid: Thank you for your input regarding the ordering of parameters. The more I look at it, the more I agree with you.

This is something I can update in the code, so making the change is no problem.

I am curious what everyone else thinks, do you agree with the reordering of the parameters?

Ed & DZ,

Just to put in my $0.02, I agree with Luxilid regarding the consistency of the ordering of the parameters wherever possible. The DMX software I use (and I suspect most low to mid range DMX control packages) have or allow the creation of device personalities that allow for the naming of a particular dmx address and defining value range settings for that address, but don't allow for dynamic renaming of various dmx addresses dependent on which "mode" is selected.

I would balance this to some degree with the number of channels occupied. For example, if there is one 'advanced' mode that takes 200 dmx addresses that only a small subset of people would use, I wouldn't want the rest of what would be 20 dmx address occupying modes to have 180 unused addresses spread throughout the middle just so the common values across the modes would be in the same relative dmx address.

Regarding knob size, knob v. trimpots, dmx through, dmx 5 v. 3 pin, key-locks, e-stops, etc., I am agnostic. Although I like the idea of incorporating Karl and his pro-LD friends' advice, I would vote that it goes into a pro rig that costs more than the initial version you created.

Besides, we all know that pros with deep pockets want to feel that their hardware is inherently better than what any hobbyist or entry level pro would have. Making a horrendously expensive product that incorporates all of these "Pro" features while leaving out things like plebeian 3 pin DMX connectors is a great way of doing this. Maybe take some of this extra money and channel it into a special customer support phone number that's answered by some haughty individual that tells them how important they are and how they are going to skip three (non-existent) levels of support just because they are so special.

Regardless of what is done or not done, I WANT ONE and I don't plan to wait another year for a potentially improved version.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 05-27-2015 at 10:19.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

That was one reason why I edited it to say I posted prior to seeing the additional comments. I do realize you also said you wanted one as soon as you could afford it. And I also said a "little".

From the time they first showed a prototype at SELEM last year, the bells went off in all of our heads that, this thing could be HUGE and I know we all want for them to be successful with this and sell a boatload. I think marketed well, it could sell a ton of units. And all of the insight from those that are out in the field and doing large shows on a regular basis should be very valuable.

That is why I left some of my comments sounding a little harsh, because at this point in a product's development is the critical time when it can go big or not.
    Point taken.

( on that note, if there was ever a 2U sized version, I just wanted to mention that I really LOVE the lighting gear that has both 3 and 5 pin ins and outs, because then you dont have to worry about adapters which always get lost, hint hint)
    Yeah... I'm on board with that too! Lord knows how many times I've had to searching for a damn 5 to 3 pin adapter and, you also don't find those in your local Guitar Center that often either.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Regardless of what is done or not done, I WANT ONE and I don't plan to wait another year for a potentially improved version.

Agreed!!!

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:41.

Being completely serious for a moment, Karl, I thought the pro-level input was quite valuable and delivered with the best intentions of improving this great product even further. My 'hoighty' comments were aimed at the high-end LD / video guys with large egos and deep pockets (or rather whose employers they assume have deep pockets) rather than pro-laserists like yourself who are just trying to make an honest buck.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 05-27-2015 at 11:14.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:42.