Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Default The EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Hi everyone!

For the last year, Ed Keefe (ekeefe) and I have been working on a project first discussed at FLEM in 2014. It is finally complete. We have listened to your suggestions and have made a few changes.

We are proud to introduce the new EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	438.1 KB 
ID:	47548

Name:	back.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	47549

Name:	top_down.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	47550

The Advanced Laser Router is a 1U rack mount, ILDA compliant laser projector controller. It is similar in function to a basic ILDA signal splitter with a large number of DMX controllable features. The DMX control of the Advanced Laser Router is what makes this product much more than just a simple signal splitter.

Independent control of up to 6 different projectors, with only 1 or 2 DACs, is possible with the Advanced Laser Router. With 1 DAC, each output can be dynamically adjusted by DMX. When connected to 2 DACs, that's when the possibilities really take off.

Rather than try and describe all the functionality here, we have put together a website with full details: http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/ALR.htm

The Router was shown at FLEM just a few weeks ago. Brad (Bradfo69) was kind enough to record video of the (very informal) presentation. That video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU17...nel=BradBillet

For a limited pre-production run, we are going to offer the Advanced Laser Router at a special price of $1499+Shipping just for PL members. To achieve this pricing we need to receive at least 10 pre-order commitments. After this initial run, the price will increase to better reflect actual full production costs.

This offer will last through July and will end on the 31st.

Once all orders and payments are received, we will begin bulk ordering the parts to build the Routers. Deliveries would likely begin late August to early September. If you would like to purchase a Router, send me a PM!
    Last edited by DZ; 07-01-2015 at 06:36.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hi everyone!

For the last year, Ed Keefe (ekeefe) and I have been working on a project first discussed at FLEM in 2014. It is finally complete.

We are proud to introduce the EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Attachment 47148Attachment 47149

The Advanced Laser Router is a 1U rack mount, ILDA compliant laser projector controller. It is similar in function to a basic ILDA signal splitter with a large number of DMX controllable features. The DMX control of the Advanced Laser Router is what makes this product much more than just a simple signal splitter.

Independent control of up to 6 different projectors, with only 1 or 2 DACs, is possible with the Advanced Laser Router. With 1 DAC, each output can be dynamically adjusted by DMX. When connected to 2 DACs, that's when the possibilities really take off.

Rather than try and describe all the functionality here, we have put together a website with full details: http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/ALR.htm

The Router was shown at FLEM just a few weeks ago. Brad (Bradfo69) was kind enough to record video of the (very informal) presentation. That video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU17...nel=BradBillet

For a limited pre-production run, we are going to offer the Advanced Laser Router at a special price just for PL members. After this initial run, the price will likely be quite a bit higher.

Full details of this offer will be posted here on PL, on June 1, 2015.
    do we get a "not brad" discount?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ok. I want one, or two, maybe 10.... lol

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Naturally..... my order has already been placed quite some time ago.

This is a work of technological art and I'm definitely in for one and ready to Paypal as soon as you are ready. Regardless of delivery date, can I get a serial number printed on mine that is lower than Brad's (just for fun)??

I may order a second one as fundage permits.

Congrats, guys! From what I've seen over the past year, this is something that you should be extremely proud to bring to market.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Regardless of delivery date, can I get a serial number printed on mine that is lower than Brad's (just for fun)??
    ?

I can hear my PayPal account screaming in agonizing anticipation.
    Now all I need is a matched pair of Pluto II's ...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Fantastic concept, I'm in for one without knobs, if you will be offering that option. It will be DMX-only control all the way for me and RDM is icing on the cake!. Bonus points for external monitor option, very nice touch.

Only issue is the 3pin XLR for DMX input. 5pin is the USITT standard and in the professional realm this is the preferred XLR type. For such a pro-caliber piece of equipment having 5pin input will make a lot of pro lighting folks happy.

Looking through the DMX personalities, I see the base set of parameters get shifted down the list with each advance in DMX personality. I would recommend adding the new parameters after the previously existing ones in order to maintain parameter consistency between personalities.
    For example, in advanced splitter DMX mode, the first DMX parameter is X Gain. In 2 input router mode, it moves down to the 12th parameter. Ideally this would be the same spot for the next two DMX modes instead of it being pushed down the parameter list.
    In any advanced DMX lighting fixture that offers different personalities, the parameters that are consistent across modes always stay in the same DMX locations. More advanced parameters get aded to the end of the list. It makes things way less complicated when you set up your lighting desk and prevents any potential confusion.
    Last edited by luxilid; 05-24-2015 at 13:06.

I'm certain that's all good stuff. Particularly from a pro LD perspective and I'm sure getting that input is valuable but...... save it for Rev. 2! We've been waiting long enough! LOL

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Regardless of delivery date, can I get a serial number printed on mine that is lower than Brad's (just for fun)??
    Ha! If I did, Brad would dis-own me! Ed has alpha, I have beta and Brad gets #1!

Quote Originally Posted by luxilid View Post
    Fantastic concept, I'm in for one without knobs, if you will be offering that option. It will be DMX-only control all the way for me and RDM is icing on the cake!. Bonus points for external monitor option, very nice touch.

Only issue is the 3pin XLR for DMX input. 5pin is the USITT standard and in the professional realm this is the preferred XLR type. For such a pro-caliber piece of equipment having 5pin input will make a lot of pro lighting folks happy.

Looking through the DMX personalities, I see the base set of parameters get shifted down the list with each advance in DMX personality. I would recommend adding the new parameters after the previously existing ones in order to maintain parameter consistency between personalities.
    For example, in advanced splitter DMX mode, the first DMX parameter is X Gain. In 2 input router mode, it moves down to the 12th parameter. Ideally this would be the same spot for the next two DMX modes instead of it being pushed down the parameter list.
    In any advanced DMX lighting fixture that offers different personalities, the parameters that are consistent across modes always stay in the same DMX locations. More advanced parameters get aded to the end of the list. It makes things way less complicated when you set up your lighting desk and prevents any potential confusion.
    Thanks for the suggestions, luxilid! We will be able to accommodate a 3-pin or 5-pin DMX option. It was discussed at FLEM about having a Router that didn't have potentiometers on the front, this would have saved a bit on the price of the Router but it would have also rendered the basic splitter mode rather useless. So instead we plan to offer a version that has trimmers that aren't as easily accessible as the potentiometers with knobs.

Regarding the DMX channels. Part of the reason for the personalities is to help reduce the DMX footprint for someone who doesn't need the functions of the dual input router. Ultimately, it was decide that a user will likely set the Router to a particular personality and that is where it will be used most.