Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start up red laser module

Default Start up red laser module

Looking to buy a red analog laser module that will go well with the green and blue modules linked below. I need the power and wavelength of the module to correspond well with these green and blue ones to maximize the whiteness of the combined light. Beam diameter is somewhat of a concern also.

The module is for a RGB laser projector that I'm building with flashback 3 software and Pt-A40 galvos

Let it also be noted that I haven't bought any of these modules yet so I might be interested in a set of the three.

corresponding modules
    Blue http://m.ebay.com/itm/141540138335?_mwBanner=1

Green
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Stated...item2c99037f85

Thomas

Thomas,

Talk to different people and you'll get a different take from each on white balance. For me, I like to see something like 2:1:1.8 RGB, but this is never practical. Getting Red @2:1 vs green gets expensive. some will tell you that a 1:1:1 balance is where it's at.

What is the application? Beam shows or graphics? If the former, you can get away with lower beam specs and uncorrected modules, but for graphics all of that stuff becomes important. I'm sure others will chime in shortly...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Check out this thread... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ce-appreciated

I was basically trying to talk him out of the ultra cheap and suggested he post here that he was looking for something to get started with, that someone might have "used" that's a little better in terms of quality but not outrageous in price.

If someone knows of a decent, all in one combined module, that could be a good suggestion too. All I was finding was stuff from laserlands.

(Granted I know there are a lot of people that think I should just snoop around my stash and pull something out - and they're probably right! )
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 05-26-2015 at 10:53.

What is your budget om the red module?

The green module might be OK beamwise, but I don't think it will modulate like a 520nm diode.
    For the price, you will be able to get a diecent 520nm diode module.

The blue module is also quite expensive. There are just a single collimating lenses on this, and there will be quite a big difference between the green, and the blue when doing graphics @ 10 metres lor more.

When it comes to red, the beam will expand even more, if you use the standard 638nm multi mode modules without correction optics.

So what to choose??

I would do a little more investigation on the net.
    GoldenStarlaser could be one place to look at modu!es, and eightonlight.cn might have some "all in one" modules worth considering.

Beam quality over power is my mantra now after waisting time and money to cheap "powerful" modules

Please also be careful working with operating modules. They WILL HARM YOUR EYES if you don't wear protection.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

My budget on all three lasers is probably max $600.
    I appreciate the feedback and I thought I replied to this earlier.
    Mainly beam shows but graphics might spark my interest once I start playing around with it.
    And I will definitety be wearing eye protection with these modules.

I'm gonna research and shop around and will update soon

Thomas

go with the dtr rgb bundle. Not a lot of extra power but it is very acceptable. You can double it later by making a second rgb module and combining the result.

The other combo I used that worked well is a 462nm blue, the 120mw 520nm green, and a pair of 638nm single mode reds. It is a touch green deficient but it works.
    I also 2x telescope the blue and green to match the divergence of the reds. It is easy to add spatial filters to this. This setup is really nice. Truly for the money go with the dtr rgb bundle.

ps: the rgb bundle while not eye safe if you stare at it in the eye is pretty safe regarding reflections while you learn. The other one I described is absolutely eye dangerous should you blow it.

The RGB diode bundle w/drivers and glass lenses for $250 looks great for the money. I am looking for more power though and I like your second suggestion, but are these analog or ttl?

Here's another combo Im looking at but isn't as price pleasing.

520nm 120mW $220
    http://www.goldenstarlaser.com/520-oem120-p-772.html

637nm 320mW $??
    http://eightonlight.cn/products/Lase.../1029/220.html I emailed light space but they haven't gotten back to me on any prices yet.

And I haven't found a blue yet but I'm thinking somewhere between 250 and 300mW 462nm

Well I think I have found the three.
    The 520nm 120mw from goldenstarlasers and these two below from dtr. I'm having trouble finding decently priced optics and mounts though.. Any website suggestions?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The 120mW 520 from Goldenstar is fine. Here is the thing to keep in mind about the ones from DTR in that configuration... those drivers are really designed to go into a laser pointer and not a projector. A laser pointer usually has a short duty cycle and is simply "on" with full power. You're not going to be able to modulate the laser. The diodes, lenses, wire and holder are all fine and you can buy them that way but, you'll need different drivers to go that route. As far as optics and mounts and so forth, I'd check out www.lasershowparts.com (Dave here on the forum.) Great source!

(By the way.... this is all part of the learning process. You're doing fine! But it's good to keep asking as you go along.)