View Poll Results: When should we do the next NWLEM?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • September 9th-11th

2 33.33%
  • September 16th-18th

2 33.33%
  • Well shoot...

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: NWLEM III - November 20th-22nd, 2015 - Portland, Oregon

Updated the top post with some hotel info.

Also thought I'd do a variance workshop for anyone interested in getting their variance. Will cover some general laser safety go over the variance parts of the application and renewal processes.

Anybody else have any demos or workshops they'd like to put on at NWLEM? I'll post a rough schedule when we get a little closer to the big weekend.

I am working on defining a workflow with my coworker for using Ableton Live as laser control software in conjunction with a sound card DAC (specifically the Wave-USB, but any ol' sound card DAC should do). It may or may not include using Pure Data as well as SuperCollider. I can share whatever I have by NWLEM if people are interested.

I will most definitely be there.

Pics Here

I just drove by and checked took a few pictures. Looks like parking will not be an issue. There are bus stops across the street and bars a block away. Also near trail heads to forest park if people want to take a hike.

Edit:
    I realized I forgot to take a picture of the 3-phase power transformers and lines going into the building. The main building appeared to have one single phase transformer. About 100 feet away in the other warehouse I can see the 3-phase input. I looked just for you Mr. Vidalwolf....

Street View Picture of the Transformers
    Last edited by sugeek; 10-10-2015 at 19:43.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by discothefunkyhippo View Post
    I am working on defining a workflow with my coworker for using Ableton Live as laser control software in conjunction with a sound card DAC (specifically the Wave-USB, but any ol' sound card DAC should do). It may or may not include using Pure Data as well as SuperCollider. I can share whatever I have by NWLEM if people are interested.
    "Ableton Live Laser Control Via Sound Card DAC Demo by discothefunkyhippo" added to the list.

I've heard of this being done with similar gear. I'm definitely interested in this as I have a copy of Ableton now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I will most definitely be there.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=448

I just drove by and checked took a few pictures. Looks like parking will not be an issue. There are bus stops across the street and bars a block away. Also right near a trail head to forest park if people want to take a hike.
    Thanks for doing that. Been meaning to drop by the venue and take some measurements for feeder cables and snap a few more pics of the inside.

I used to blow glass at the hot shop that is pretty close to there.. elements glass! Glad you got a new venue to replace!

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Been meaning to drop by the venue and take some measurements for feeder cables and snap a few more pics of the inside.
    I have a 200' tape reel in the garage let me know if would be of use.
    Last edited by sugeek; 10-10-2015 at 21:05.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I have a 200' tape reel in the garage let me know if would be of use.
    That could come in handy. Will be in touch.

Thank you for taking the time to take a pic there. What is the distance from the power panel to the work space / showspace? Is there a rental company nearby to rent power cables from?
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to take a pic there. What is the distance from the power panel to the work space / showspace? Is there a rental company nearby to rent power cables from?
    I would say, at most, 250 feet, which would cause a 4% drop in voltage, at worst, by my calculations. This is assuming for 50 amps, just to be sure. The service, I'm told, is "240V three phase". Not sure if it's wye or delta, etc.

I haven't been over there to do the precise distance measurement. Will try to get that done this week and figure out exactly what service it is and how many feet it would need to go from the panel to the ion work space, which will be the "back stage" area so we can use the ions for some shows.

There are numerous rental companies in the city of Portland. I will probably go with Sunbelt since they've always been very helpful and competitively-priced.

- Jonathan

*edit*
    Will be going to the venue on Friday to probe some circuits and take some more pictures.
    Last edited by platinum; 10-12-2015 at 16:23. Reason: Update