Thread: A little something that showed up in the lab today

Default A little something that showed up in the lab today

Mmmmmmm, donuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3832.JPG  

Looks like the chronic photonic to me!

Interesting to see what one of those looks like inside, it should be able to put about 100w per doughnut stack if they are made with 40w bars (more if they are higher power ones, there are most likely 20 pump bars per unit). Judging by the fact that there is an unsoldered mounting base in there it looks like you may have got brand new fresh diodes even

There are 5 diode bars in each donut segment so 200W if they are 40W. My guess is they are 40W bars, but run at well below that for long life (Coherent likes to claim 50,000 hour diode life). Even at 20W per bar, there's 1600W of pump power in there! I think this is a variant of the Mamba which was rated for 525W 1064nm output. Interesting that it takes 2 large q-switches to hold off the oscillator (closest 2 donut modules). The other 2 donut modules are an extra-cavity amplifier. I have no idea what the unused base is for - it's nowhere near the beam path.

what does 525W 1064 translate into green? Sounds like you could do shows for the international space station from the ground or boil a cup of coffee for them.

The Mamba Green was rated 325W. Sadly none of the machines here are green and I'm pretty sure you can't just stick a 3x3x5 KTP in the IR beam and expect much more than a destroyed crystal.

Can I have that??

Anyway, you might set up an external cavity for a doubler. That way you could gradually translate the non-linear crystal toward the focus. Use LBO.