Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone give me info on 3D Scanning

Default Anyone give me info on 3D Scanning

Just exploring a non laser related idea.

I was wondering is it easy / possible to precisely 3D scan an object then easily convert that into a profile that's the opposite of that which has been scanned?

eg. an egg and cup. You scan the egg top but can then reverse that scan to create a flat plane of a preset size with a cup shape in it that perfectly fits the egg.

Following on from that, it is then easy to 3D print that imprinted flat plane from that reversed CAD?

Any tips / hints on software needed?
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-31-2015 at 06:21.

No sorry .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ha ha. Thanks Andy.

... what's wrong with standard 3D-scanning? - it's done regularly with laserline- or beamer-grid scanning to get the surface data ... and boolean subtracting from a cup-shaped solid to get the inner form is common too ... and 3D-printing of the result is no problem either

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... what's wrong with standard 3D-scanning? - it's done regularly with laserline- or beamer-grid scanning to get the surface data ... and boolean subtracting from a cup-shaped solid to get the inner form is common too ... and 3D-printing of the result is no problem either

Viktor
    Sounds useful. I know nothing of 3D scanning so any information / more information on software etc you can give me is useful.

Thanks Victor.

... look here - http://www.david-3d.com/en

I'm using David with a DLP-beamer, what's more accurate and faster than with laserline.

David exports STL or OBJ files, so 3D-printing or milling with one of the RepRap-softwares, CAD/CAM's (or sending it to a service provider) is no problem either ...

Viktor

Ok thanks Victor, I'll take a look.

BTW Victor, I presume you also do 3D printing, any advice on the toughest plastics?

... standard plastics are ABS (with heated bed) or PLA (for parts, that won't suffer heat - PLA softens above 60 degC).

Other materials are available too, or blends with wood-, ceramic- or metal-dust for different mechanical and optical properties.

But I'm interested in more rigid/stable parts than possible with FDM or SLA (UV-3D) printing, so using and developing SLS and other methodes for solid ceramic and metal parts ...

Viktor

Thanks, that's useful.

I think I'd be more interested in something quite rigid but with enough strength or flex to ensure it wasn't brittle and could withstand quite high lateral pressures. I was thinking some kind of modded ABS.

I would add this is academic to me, but just an idea I'm exploring atm.