Thread: Newbie here need some advice please on safety for Kam Laserscan

Default Newbie here need some advice please on safety for Kam Laserscan

Hi everyone,

I recently ended up with a Kam Laserscan 1000 3D V2 as a gift. As a complete lay person I just looked at it in and thought "cool".

Since then I have gone out and bought for myself flashback 3 along with a copy of Quickshow. I have faffed around with the unit and had some pretty good effects from it from downloading various user made shows across the internet. I am however concerned with the safety of this box. I am reading about retina damage and the like. I understand the base concepts of beam diameter, pulse light vs average time light and how the maths generally works when calculating the beam width vs power over distance hitting people in the face.

What I am not however; is anything more than a bare novice. I'm using the display in a room barely 5 meters across for nothing more than home entertainment. At the moment I have just told everyone to keep clear of the lasers (I have adjusted the set through quickshow to not allow any laser below 8ft - I have high ceilings) so that nothing can get into anyone's faces. In the interim period whilst I get more to grips with what I have is there a simple practical step I can take to ensure a drunk person for example cannot hurt themselves by inadvertently getting shot in the face with this unit? I saw laser brightness setting in Quickshow and intuitively believe that would lower the power output of the lasers but I do not want to take anything on faith when it comes to my own and other people's retina.

Thank you.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would be inclined to just build a shelf to set the projector on and have it up high enough that the exit aperture is higher than the tallest friend you have. Yes, you are correct that the brightness slider reduces the power emitting from the projector although to be truly eye safe in such a small room, you'd be turning it down to a setting so low, you'd be saying, "What's the point?"

I think it's good to be cautious and since this is for home use, it doesn't need to be exact but, as long as you're keeping the beams above eye level in general, you should be fine. You'll quickly discover though, that people on here get scanned all the time - being in the beams to watch a show can be amazing. I've not been to a laser gathering yet where we weren't all in the beams at some point or another. Either watching a show or, setting it up or aligning a projector. It just happens. Since you are educated about and, realize the potential of injury, you learn to basically avoid extended exposure and shield your eyes or look away at certain times.

However.... your obligation here is to your uneducated viewers, kids... pets... drunks...
    PM Sent...

Thanks for that Bradfo,

I've turned the laser down to 50% brightness and it still looks great - I'll take it from there and see how we get on with it. One other bit of advice I could do with is this unit a TTL or analogue system? I would presume TTL but there's literally nothing in the instructions or on the box that actually let's me know what; precisely the model uses in this regard.

I looked at the specs and the pdf of the online manual and it doesn't specify. My gut tells me TTL which means you should have basically about 7 colors. If it's analogue, then you'd have a lot more shades and hues. This unit is very similar to the LK-PD1,2 and 3 from Laserking out of China but, this appears to be a UK company. Since you bought Quickshow (good move!), I think you can try either setting and see what happens. You probably should have reported it to Quickshow as TTL. You can try reporting it to Quickshow as being analogue and see what the output looks like.
    PM Sent...

From what I understand Kam import it from Laserking and this is a LK-PD2, I was told about this previously when I was looking at the original Laserking product, which I still have and is used for family parties etc.

Cheers

Steve

Still have mine as well (LK-PD1) and it's still a very cool little projector.
    PM Sent...