Thread: Ausie treck to Burning man Festival

Default Ausie treck to Burning man Festival

Hi all, its been a while since i've popped my head up in this forum.

I am looking to head over to the sunny USA in September for the OC2 (Oculus Connect Conference 23-25 SEPT) and thought i would make the trip earlier and take in the Burning man Festival.(AUG 30 -sept 7)

1st question is there any one from the forums attending, and are they taking their toys?

2nd i understand there some fairly strict rule of engagement for use of laser equipment in the states is it possible to hire a laser (with a variance) and use it add hoc at something like burning man festival. I have been in the entertainment industry in Australia as a production manager for over two decades doing lighting, lasers and LED / video.

3rd Are there any xyzLEM's going down between Sept 1 and 30, coming from Oz im use to traveling long distances to get any where to if there is a gig on i would love to hook up.

I have a couple of Pango DAC's and am always keen to pick up any tips and tricks with Beyond

Last I was out there was about 10 years ago and I remember someone with a 60w YAG or something on the back of a Ryder truck scanning into the air, very impressive beams that went forever.
    Back then I doubt there was anything else, since the dry alkaline lakebed dust that is EVERYWHERE is so very bad for electronics and optics so expensive lights and lasers don't usually go out there unless it's a one way trip. That being said, I bet there's a lot more diode projectors now with all the DJ camps, but the term 'safety third' has been a mantra from the early days so who's to say now regarding variance requirements. You can always inquire with the BM organization to see if there are any hard rules for the event.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by luxilid View Post
    Last I was out there was about 10 years ago and I remember someone with a 60w YAG or something on the back of a Ryder truck scanning into the air, very impressive beams that went forever.
    Back then I doubt there was anything else, since the dry alkaline lakebed dust that is EVERYWHERE is so very bad for electronics and optics so expensive lights and lasers don't usually go out there unless it's a one way trip. That being said, I bet there's a lot more diode projectors now with all the DJ camps, but the term 'safety third' has been a mantra from the early days so who's to say now regarding variance requirements. You can always inquire with the BM organization to see if there are any hard rules for the event.
    there are some new laser rules due to one of the rangers sustaining a laser injury last year:

http://burningman.org/event/black-ro...-guide/lasers/
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Damned shame your vacation isn't 2 weeks earlier! You could make it to SELEM and have an awesome time. (August 12th - 16th)

Adam

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zerowaitstate View Post
    ...any xyzLEM's going down between Sept 1 and 30,... if there is a gig on i would love to hook up.
    You're more than Welcome to stop into Laserium / visit the 'Cradle of Laserization' / catch a Show(s) on any weekend you'll be in CA, then.. ..Stay-tuned to www.laserium.com/backstage/Showtimes.html ..for monthly-Sched.. Not sure what we'll be running, by-then, but.. Whatever they'll be, they'll be worth the trip if you're 'Nevada-close'...

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Damned shame your vacation isn't 2 weeks earlier! You could make it to SELEM and have an awesome time. (August 12th - 16th)

Adam
    Very disappointing , many years of watching this forum would be great to put some faces to the names.

i am still nailing the itinerary down, if there is any way i can be there i will do so. I'll keep you posted

You let me know pal! If we can make this happen, I promise you'll have the time of your life!

Adam