Thread: Removing Diode

Default Removing Diode

Has anyone here removed a 5.6mm diode from a press fitted holder? I have a 650nm 49mw fiber optic diode that I would like to retrofit with one of my 100mw diodes. But I can not get the diode out with out destroying it, I will if I have to but would prefer to save the 40mw one. Why am I doing this you may ask? Well I guess because it is cool is the only reason. The output the fiber is so small even at 40mw it will melt black plastic so I thought it would be really cool to put in a 100mw.
    Maybe build a fiber optic cigarette lighter.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

The disk of a 5.6mm diode looks like brass, but if the Rohm diodes are to go by, is actually plated steel. Test with a magnet if in doubt...

I think your best bet, as the mount is probably brass or aluminium or other softer metal, is to drill a pair of 1mm holes on opposite sides, so their centres penetrate the walls fractionally in front of that disk. You might then be able to use a pair of tiny jewellers screwdrivers to lever the diode out of the mount with minimal damage. You'll have to be VERY accurate to do it right, but the 5.6 mm diodes are a very standardised form, so it should at least be easy to predict where to drill.

Thanks, I will was going to do that but it is pressed into stainless steel
    and I don`t think i can drill that small of a hole with out slipping over the edge and into the diode. I think I will try freezing the diode and see if I can pop it out if not I am just going to destroy it to get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    The disk of a 5.6mm diode looks like brass, but if the Rohm diodes are to go by, is actually plated steel. Test with a magnet if in doubt...

I think your best bet, as the mount is probably brass or aluminium or other softer metal, is to drill a pair of 1mm holes on opposite sides, so their centres penetrate the walls fractionally in front of that disk. You might then be able to use a pair of tiny jewellers screwdrivers to lever the diode out of the mount with minimal damage. You'll have to be VERY accurate to do it right, but the 5.6 mm diodes are a very standardised form, so it should at least be easy to predict where to drill.
    Last edited by Astroguy; 05-06-2007 at 04:54.

Freezing may damage the fiber if you move it when cold.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Well I had to destroy the diode to get it out, it was glued in place with optical expoxy.
    Now I have to realign the fiber feed optics for the new diode if I can. It is not easy.