Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "40W laser shotgun"

Default The "40W laser shotgun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVrJUbeuG44

Just saw this on the Youtube front page. Don't have anything negative to say about the dude really. I saw his older videos, he uses eye protection and shows off his laser projects inside his garage, so I don't see an issue.

But this build just seems pointless to me. The 5W blue diodes which he probably bought from DTR are arranged next to each other without knife edging so they are too far apart. Also there are no correction optics so the vertical divergence is pretty bad. A tight 40W beam could do more than pop balloons and burn paper at that rate which even <1W can.
    Last edited by blue; 04-26-2016 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post

Just saw this on the Youtube front page. Don't have anything negative to say about the dude really. I saw his older videos, he uses eye protection and shows off his laser projects inside his garage, so I don't see an issue.

But this build just seems pointless to me. The 5W blue diodes which he probably bought from DTR are arranged next to each other without knife edging so they are too far apart. Also there are no correction optics so the vertical divergence is pretty bad. A tight 40W beam could do more than pop balloons and burn paper at that rate which even <1W can.
    There is a diode array bracket that he used.. Might already have had the diodes in it. I remember seeing it somewhere. Think it was on PL.

I learned something from that video: ping-pong balls do catch fire.

... we used the old types (made from nitro-cellulose) for 'stink-bombs' ;-)

Viktor

I use the ping-pong balls for fireworks, nitrocellulose lacquer (dissolve the balls in acetone) it's water resistant and used on fuse and all parts of a component
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

when kids, my bro and I wrapped PP balls in alfoil and lit em up to make smoke bombs. Good times

I'm not too worried about that build - it's when people start getting their hands on these that I'll become a little worried. 40W in a handheld, although still not collimated into a single beam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47706d1433823553-gb-cnc-d-host-driver-40-watt-460-465nm-laser-array-3d-print-v17.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	47296

This guy doesn't worry me. It's the copycats that do. The ones who don't wear eye-wear or think it would be cool to pull multiwatt pointers out at a party and light cigarettes or joints with it. Ehhh, what else can be said? I don't like these "instructional" videos that teach the morons how to get their hands on this stuff.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Well the build does cost over $1000 so I don't think anyone not experienced with lasers will do this as their first build.
    The reason I posted this video is I think the build is pretty pointless because the beams are so far apart and not collimated. With 40W and focusing lens you can burn and melt heck of a lot more than paper and wood. He could do the same thing with his previous 3W "lightsaber" build too.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Well the build does cost over $1000 so I don't think anyone not experienced with lasers will do this as their first build.
    The reason I posted this video is I think the build is pretty pointless because the beams are so far apart and not collimated. With 40W and focusing lens you can burn and melt heck of a lot more than paper and wood. He could do the same thing with his previous 3W "lightsaber" build too.
    I don't imagine many people will build this exact laser, but now millions of people that may never have known you could burn things with lasers now know that you can, and many will probably seek out high powered blue pointers to show off to their friends and such. I'm sure many people will be responsible, but I fear we are just waiting for something bad to happen.

Cool build nonetheless!