Thread: quick regulation check

Default quick regulation check

for the new class system for lasers would a class 4 still be considered a class 4 because it's 1.6 watts but i run it at a power level for 3B, I don't remember is it is based on total capacity or what power level it's set to?
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I am 99.999% certain it's based on the 1.6 and therefore still class 4.
    PM Sent...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Although....after thinking... it's basically what's "out the window". What someone can be exposed to is what determines the class. SO, you can have a 50 watt laser inside of a box and if only 400mW is what's actually coming out... then that's what the class is. I guess it really depends on how you're turning it down. If that's just in software with a brightness slider or something not permanent, then I suspect you're still class 4. Chauvet, American DJ and others are famous for this. They'll have 100mW inside the case but, because of gratings or other mechanical things may keep exposure to under 5mW so people don't need a variance.
    PM Sent...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Unless you have some form of approved safeguard or the laser is totally inaccessible, the IV label goes on for the dialed down laser. In fact most scientific laser labels have 2x the highest possible power listed for sanity reasons.

The lasers that have 100 mW lasers driving gratings have paperwork stating that no normal mortal or muggle can access the higher power without considerable work to open the case.

It is possible to have a 1000 watt class I machining system system, however, again, that laser is totally enclosed and will turn itself off if the case is removed or the loading doors are open.

So you can have 1 or 3A from a 3B or IV , but not a 3B classification from a turned down 4, unless there is an approved safeguard in place.

So if you have a 1.6 watt turned down to 300 mW, the label would be 1.6 watt practical maximum, CLASS 4

Remember, going from IV to IIIB does not buy you anything except a slightly reduced hazard as there is far less of a specular reflection hazard.

The reasoning being, if a technician opens up a Class One without knowing a IV is inside, he/she still risks a Class IV exposure. Its logical in a strange sort of way.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-09-2015 at 09:18.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

thank you for the info, i labeled it class 4,
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu