Thread: Matching new drivers to an existing laser module

Default Matching new drivers to an existing laser module

Hey guys

I was poking around at some upgraded drivers for my little laser module (current ones are cheepie chinese TTL, wouldn't mind analog) and was wondering what characteristics are the critical ones for matching a new driver to an existing diode? The module is a combined Red/Green/Blue with integrated mixing dichros, 80mw Green, 200 mw Red and 250mW blue. In doing a driver swap like this, what steps should I be taking to avoid overdriving/underdriving/blowing up anything?

http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=304 I was thinking of a couple of these eventually. TTL is ok for now for graphics, but the whole concept of abstract generation really speaks to me... so analog it must go

Can you show me a picture of the module you have? If its the Chi brick I am thinking of you are going to have issues with analog modulating the green. I have performed exactly what you are trying to do and ended up unsatisfied because the green DPSS was not suitable for modulation.

I am using the drivers you have listed in one of my projectors and I like them alot. When I tried to upgrade the drivers on my Chi brick I used Flexmods and it worked great for the Red and Blue. The way I determined needed current was by hooking and Amp meter in series with the diode and used the driver that came with the diodes establish the needed current. Then I set the Flexmods to the same current output using the calibration instructions included with the drivers. But like I said the green did not modulate as expected. It was pretty much still TTL. This can still be a good step towards a DTR bundle in the future though because you will already have the drivers needed for the DTR bundle.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

I've got a pic of it in my projector build thread here (a few posts down the page. Shows internals too)

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...rojector-Build

Those DTR kits look niiiice.... just ordered a RIYA lite and GLS... and need to find a good source for some MM1 optic mounts. Those might go into projector #2... which will be about the same as projector 1, but.. nicer

Yup same Chi brick I had. Don't let me deter you from your plan I just wanted to give you information on what to expect before you pull the trigger on buying drivers.

I like the mounts that Dave sells at Lasershow Parts. They are in both of my projectors and I have had no issues with them. However they are not technically MM1 mounts.
    http://lasershowparts.com/store/inde...&productId=210

On the DTR kit I like having the 120mw green rather than the 50mw but I started out with the 50mw and recently ungraded just the one diode. Basically I bought a 120mw green for my beam projector and when that wasn't bright enough splurged for the 700mw which left the 120mw without a home. Now i'm looking for a home for the 50mw. Thinking maybe lumia but not sure.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981